Friday 30 July 2010

Thursday 29/07/2010 - Carps AC Evening Series - Boyd Valley Lake - Round Five

Still no rain, which this venue desperately needs. However, I can’t see an issue with the fish in the regard as the venue has plenty of depth to it.

I drew peg 6 not one of my favourites, plus the wind still tending towards peg 12 (dead opposite). Arriving at the swim it was going to be impossible to fish from the platform as the keep nets would hardly reach the water, plus the high drop for the fish on to stones! So I agreed with neighbouring anglers to fish to the side of the platform, in the water. It’s a long time since I have fished this close to the water, which was always the aim on both the river and canal, often stood all day up to the goolies in water - summer and winter. It proved to be enjoyable, particularly float visibility, which left me wondering why commercial fisheries appear to build their platforms so far off the water. Having walked the bank with Mike Jones, it was clear the Carp were feeding in the shallow water margins. However, I had arrived with a simple plan which did not include any running line methods. Two paste rigs one (0.5 gram) down the shelf at 5 metres and one (0.3 gram) half way up at a power top set distance. I potted in a 125ml of hard 4’s and a few wetted 8 pellet at five metres and started loose feeding 4mm on the short line. Starting on the long line I had a 2lb Skimmer and a 3lb Carp in the first five minutes then I was pestered by small Ronnie’s and Skimmers. Looking around the lake all those fishing the pole were struggling. I tried the short line but clearly the Ronnie’s were up for the paste and the small particles associated with paste fishing. As I still had a ¼ pint of casters left over from Wednesday I decided to set up a Ronnie rig so at least I was adding some weight to my net. So having re-fed the long line with the same dose of pellet, on to the caster, however, as I didn’t have enough casters to feed I kept on feeding the 4mm pellet. I fished this for about an hour and had Ronnie’s to 6oz, one Tench and a couple of decent Skimmers, I then hooked and landed a 4lb Carp, so out on the paste and I had six more Carp in six put-ins. Then the sun came out and it went quite again, not only for me but for most of the anglers. After trying the long line and still encountering Ronnie’s I went back on the caster over loose fed 4’s. I decided to fish this until the last hour, and then focus on the Carp. During this golden hour I had another seven Carp, plus another decent Skimmer. My Silvers weighed in at 13lb 9oz (equal to another 3 to 4 Carp) and my dozen or so Carp weighed 43lb 2oz for a grand total of 56lb 11oz. As it proved my decision to fish for Silvers whilst the sun was blazing proved to be the right one as my combined weight lifted me second overall plus a section win.


The match once again was won by Kev Dicks (pictured right (in the dusk) being helped by Peter Roberts, Lake and Avon Aquatics owner) from peg 7 with 77lb 7oz. Kev fished the method feeder and pellet waggle shallow to the opposite island.

Full Result:

1. Kevin Dicks 77-07-0 peg 7
2. Mike Nicholls 56-11-0 peg 6
3. John Thompson 50-10-0 peg 8
4. Bob Price 42-0-0 peg 10
5. Mark Tanner 32-0-0 peg 12
6. Bob Feltham 28-02-0 peg 2

No comments: