Friday 2 July 2010

Thursday 01/07/2010 - Carps AC Thursday Evening Series - Boyd Valley Lake - Round Three

Back to Boyd Valley Lake, two days in a row. However, a totally different approach will be needed to pick up coin and league points as there is no Silvers pool or League, so Silvers alone won’t get you close enough. The method feeder is dominating the league and I for one will not fish the method as it for those that has either just started fishing or those that can’t fish properly. The nearest I can get is the straight lead. So it was to be an out and out hard pellet attack with straight lead pellet waggler and one pole rig, all for banded pellet. I took 4, 6 and 8mm hard pellet and nothing else. So have to stick to the plan.

Well I drew the same peg as yesterday peg 8. Luckily I took my wellies as heavy rain was forecast (wrong again) so I was able to get in to the water and remove some of the rushes that are now crowding some swims. I started on the pellet waggler and had a 2lb Chub on 8mm pellet fish chuck (no feeding). Unfortunately I missed the best part – the bite - I was reel fiddling, I looked up and the float could not be seen. Good start one thinks – same problem as yesterday not enough water in the Gap, with the hook snagging stones on the bottom. Added to this a strong gusting wing, it wasn’t right, so out with the straight lead fished up the slope of the far shelf and after my usual count to 60 up the bank it went. I fed in front of the Gap with 8mm hard pellet but never to go back again! On to the 4 metre line with 6mm banded hard pellet which I had been feeding with 4’s since the start. I caught two Tench and a few decent Ronnie’s straight away. I then had a run of small Carp. I really started to enjoy the fishing as the wind was so strong the bites were emphasised. I had runs of two or three small Carp then a period of Silvers putting a couple of decent Skimmers in the net and a few more Ronnie’s making my Silvers weight up to 8lb 4oz and my 15 carp weighed in at 29lb 4oz for a total of 37lb 8oz. Unfortunately it was only good enough for fifth, but second in the section.

The match was won by Kevin Dicks (pictured right – grimacing) with 57lb 4oz from peg 11. Kevin caught on the method feeder - enough said.

Runner up was Bob (MD) Feltham (pictured right – Bob knew it wasn’t going to rain) with 54lb 14oz from peg 3. Bob fished the straight lead to the Gap.

I must mention mark Tanner who arrived two hour after the whistle with just a method feeder rod and caught steady weighing in 34lb 3oz from peg 5 – good job for Kevin Mark didn’t fish the whole match me thinks!!

Full Result:

1. Kevin Dicks 57-04-0 peg 11
2. Bob (MD) Feltham 54-14-0 peg 3
3. Martin Alexander 40-12-0 peg 6
4. Colin Golding 37-14-0 peg 2
5. Mike Nicholls 37-08-0 peg 8
6. Bill Ferris 36-0-0 peg 10

2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

Mike, you really shouldn't knock methods like the method feeder just because you don't like them. Many top anglers have refined the method feeder and in all fairness you're talking like float anglers did in the 70's when the feeder was starting out. Work it out or catch nowt, but put up with it!

Silverfox Match Angling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.