Saturday 24 July 2010

Saturday 24/07/2010 - Hillview Open

Today see us back to Hillview with son Steve. After our usual egg and bacon tostie and a chat with Nev it was time for the draw hat. Both Lakes and Canal 1 was in today due to the good turn out. I pulled out peg 15 and Steve peg 16 so both on Moorhen See picture right of Lake pegging). We were both pleased with our draws. The down side to this was that we were in the same section. This lake is wind affected and usually blows in to our bank however, not today; it was blowing into the end bank pegs 12 and 11. There were plenty of fish cruising on the surface. I set up two paste rigs one for the margin as these swims can be really productive, particularly in the last hour, and the other for just down the inside shelf at 5 metres. I also set up a 4x14 Jolly for soft pellet, also for 5 metres. I started by dump feeding some 4 and 8 mm pellet at 5 metres and started to drip feed the LH margin also with 4’s and 8’s. First put in on the 6mm expander I lost foul hooker then I landed three foul hookers; one in the tail! I then had a couple of 2lb Skimmers (apparently someone had 45lb of them in last weeks match). I all then became very frustrating as I was foul hooking Carp after Carp on expander. So I tried the paste and with no indications at all (which I found odd) I went back on the expander and once again foul hook city. I decided to put two big pots of feed in and leave it. So in to the margin and I could not believe I couldn’t get a bite or indication, not even from Silver fish. I decided to set up a dibbler shallow to fish at 13 metres. I did this as I really need to practice this method more. At last one in the mouth on 8mm banded hard pellet. I kept the 4mm pellet going in for about half hour but no more fish. However, it was eruption city with fizzing everywhere I fed a 4 mm pellet. I kept trying the margin as became very despondent that there no fish had arrived. I now decided to fish the last hour on the 6mm expander at 5 metres. I did start to hook a few in the mouth, but these were far out numbered by the ones that weren’t. I noticed that the angler on peg 12 was having a similar nightmare to me; he reckons he lost 35 Carp! At last the scales arrived and I could only bring 31lb to them. Steve on the next peg had also lost plenty of foul hookers, but having fished shallow earlier both on the pole and waggler he managed to double my weight with 63lb and second in the section.

The match was won by Lee Joyce (pictured right with a bucket of fish) from peg 42 on Canal 1 with 116lb 2oz. Lee fished down to the LH end pallet catching on worm over maggot. Lee fed 9 pints of bronze maggot!! Josh on peg 11 fed 10 pints of maggot for his ton!!

Heron Lake fished its head off with four tons and all very close tons at that with only one fish separating the top six. The here fish fell to conventional paste methods.

Full Result:

1. Lee Joyce 116-02-0 peg 42
2. Ben Jones 113-13-0 peg 33
3. Nobby Clark 109-14-0 peg 39
4. Chris Cork 108-07-0 peg 36
5. Josh Cork 108-0-0 peg 11
6. Steve Juliffe 107-06-0 peg 35

No comments: