Saturday 17 July 2010

Sunday 18/07/2010 - Carps AC - Rood Ashton

Who say’s that angling is not a spectator sport? Yesterday I sat in and watched the entire Fish-o-Mania final. I must say it was an exciting last 20 minutes. It was very satisfying to see Neil McKinnon win through on the pole catching six Carp in the last period, fishing pellet shallow. This was especially satisfying for me as this beat the method feeder in to second place – where it should be. Well done matey.

Bela and I thought we would try out Wetherspoons for breakfast as they now open at 07:00. Spot on time they opened and who should join us but John Bennett and Gordon Cannings. Bela usually has a coffee with lots of sugar, but today he had …Tea as the coffee machine was broke. Bela and I agreed it was the best breakie we had for some time. I agreed to look on the internet to find all the Wetherspoons on route to our days out.

For the first time I drew peg 1 which is the closest to the car park. Colin had drawn peg 10 and I offered to swap with him – we all know how stubborn this man is so peg 1 it was for me. Before deciding tactics I plumbed around and was delighted to find 2 foot of water in most areas I tried. So the depth was right for the Silvers. I also fancied the RH margin for some Carp alter in the match. I set up two Ronnie rigs, one on the 3.5 metre elasticated whip and the other at 10 metres with a 5 x 7 TBF. In addition I set up two paste rigs one for the RH margin and the other also at 10 metre straight out in front over the Ronnie line. I don’t know why I did this as both rigs were identical, but it did come in handy later when I got broke by a foul hooker. I started on the whip with single red maggot over the same loose feed and caught decent Ronnie’s to 8oz, with the occasional interruption by the odd Carp. I kept this up for three hours and decided to have a walk to ease my back. Chatting as I went it appeared that the first 7 pegs were neck and neck, plus I ascertained that my Silvers mission was now complete. Back to the swim and in to the RH margin with paste and – nothing. So back on the Ronnie whip and after a few more I decide to try the paste at 10 metre, were I had fed a few hard 4’s. Thus started a frustrating half hour, during which I foul hooked Carp after Carp. With now with an hour to go I tried double maggot at 10 metre on the TBF and caught another seven decent Carp to go with the five I had caught earlier – the Carp just didn’t want the paste today and I should have tried the maggot earlier although I had run short on the pint I took. My 12 Carp weighed in at 48lb 2oz and my all Ronnie catch weighed in at 17lb 12oz for a total of 65lb 14oz for first in the Silvers and fourth overall.

The match was won by Gordon Cannings (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 4 with 74lb 7oz! Gordon caught at 13 metre using 6 and 8mm hard banded pellet fish over loose fed 4’s. Gordon had also caught three Ronnie’s which made the difference on the day, which just ounced out Bela Bakos by 3oz.

Full Result:

1. Gordon Cannings 74-07-0 peg 4
2. Bela Bakos 74-04-0 peg 3
3. Leyton Palmer 66-09-0 peg 2
4. Mike Nicholls 65-14-0 peg 1
5. Dave Tippett 53-14-0 peg 5
6. John Thompson 53-14-0 peg 8

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 17-12-0 peg 1

No comments: