Friday 16 July 2010

Thursday 15/07/2010 - Carps AC Thursday Evening Series - Boyd Valley Lake - Round Four

The weather men promised us bad conditions for this match - high winds and heavy rain - they didn’t lets us down.

I drew peg 5 and although it isn’t one of my favourite pegs it suited todays mission as it had some shelter from the high gusting winds. Glad I wasn’t on peg 12 though, as the wind was blasting in to this peg, I left that one for Martin Alexander, poor begger was shivering come the end. I set up two paste rigs one for just up the inside shelf where I found six feet of water at 5 metres and one set to three foot deep for partly down the RH shelf. In addition, I set up a banded pellet rig, also set to three foot for the same margin swim – plus I untangled my made up lead rod, which again left me wondering if it’s not quicker to set up fresh every time. I started by dump feeding hard 4’s and 8’s on the 5 metre line and fed a few 8’s to the Ducks mustering against the island. I started on the banded 6mm hard pellet feeding 4’s over the top and quickly netted three small Carp. However, it wasn’t long before the Ronnie found me. So on to the paste at 5 metres and had a few 1lb Skimmers, so fed this line again - Carp will only do match. As the wind had got up I decided to chuck the lead out to the island with an 8mm hard banded pellet. Well, I am not sure whether I should be proud of myself or not but I broke my personal best, with a whole hour on the lead. After the long 3600 seconds all I had to show for it was two skinny Chub and four small Carp and one foul hooked duck which came off! But after completely surveying the local scenery whilst waiting for the rod to be dragged in I went back on the paste and by switching between the short and long line I started to put some decent Carp in the net. I weighed 69lb 8oz for second overall.

The match was once again won by Kev Dicks (pictured right in a better climate as I dare not get the camera out) with 105lb 3oz from peg 6. Kevin caught small Carp using the fixed method feeder with small white boily hook bait fished to the end on the island.

Considering the weather conditions the weights were generally very good.


Full Result:

1. Kev Dicks 105-03-0 peg 6
2. Mike Nicholls 69-08-0 peg 5
3. Bob Feltham 50-0-0 peg 3
4. Tom Coulson 48-0-0 peg 11
5. Colin Golding 43-09-0 peg 2
6. Bill Ferris 35-0-0 peg 4

No comments: