Wednesday 28 July 2010

Wednesday 28/07/2010 - Carps AC - Huntstete Withy Pool

I didn’t sleep well last night, tossing and turning all night. I put this down to going to the Mall and spending money on our Ruby (meaning precious stone) Wedding present – well the Special ones. Consequently I was irritated by everything and everyone, especially the fish – and for no real reason. Unlike Tim Ford who apparently only needs two hours sleep a night and is still as bright and chirpy on the morning.

I drew peg 42 which is a very narrow peg, nonetheless a peg I like. After delivering Colin gear to his peg (he’s still ready before anyone else) I noticed there were signs of feeding fish. So I set up the usual Ronnie rig and the two paste rigs, one for the RH margin and the other to be fished out in front at 5 metre on the edge of the “white water”, you can’t beat a black top float for visibility. I fed the 5 metre line with 8mm hard pellet, noticing that some were floating – irritation- so in went some water. Doing this slows up the decent of the pellet which can be good and bad – bad today – irritation. Second put in on paste I had a beautiful 10 lb Common Carp however, the hook had been pulled right through the lip by the landing net and it took me an age to unhook it carefully – irritation. After an hour no further Carp. I went in after the Ronnie’s with caster, who were really having a go, but I would catch three or four and they would disappear – irritation. I set up a shallow rig on the elasticated rig and had a few more Ronnie’s with the addition of Perch – what are these doing up in the water? After chasing the Ronnie’s and Perch around I tried the RH margin with paste where I had been loose feeding 4 mm hard pellet only to be pestered by Ronnie’s. So I decided to forget the Ronnie’s and focus on the Carp at 5 metres. I continued to feed wetted 8’s through the kinder pot with paste and had line bite after line bite – irritation. I believe this to be Carp – but no - it was decent Skimmers feeding just off bottom. I set up a 4x14 Jolly for the soft 6mm expander, thinking this would be the answer – not a bite – irritation. So I stopped feeding and went back on the paste and had a run of two decent Carp!! My irritations started to ease. I then had a run of decent Skimmers to 3lb, but they played with the paste for ages before taking it – irritation. Matey Terry Bruton came to my peg to collect his shoes he left with me last week, he brought me some freshly picked Stringer beans. He must have known it's the Special Ones favourite vegetable. You have a friend for life now Terry. My three Carp weighed in at 23lb 10oz and the Silvers 17lb 3oz for a total of 40lb 13oz. This put me second overall and second in the Silver, so picking up the Silver pool by default. Prbably because of my mod I felt as if I didn't fish well. That said I think I would have settled for 17lb of Silvers at the start.

The match and the Silvers were by Colin Golding (pictured right with the defaulted Silvers winner) from peg 45 with a total of 44lb 2oz comprising 20lb 4oz of Silvers. It looked as if Colin had a pot on the pole so I don’t think he fished his usual plop, plop method today. Colin also fished at 10 metres, I could easily tell as these pole sections are still brand new.

Bob Price caught the highest Carp weight bringing 7 Carp to the scales for 36lb from his preferred peg 50. Bob fished the wager on top of the bar off the opposite island with banded pellet.


Full Result:

1. Colin Golding 44-02-0 peg 45
2. Mike Nicholls 40-13-0 peg 42
3. Bob Price 36-08-0 peg 50
4. Steve Dawson 30-09-0 peg 48
5. Bill Ferris 20-12-0 peg 47
6. Dave Bacon 14-14-0 peg 43

Top Silvers:

1. Colin Golding 20-04-0 peg 45
2. Mike Nicholls 17-03-0 peg 42

No comments: