Sunday 11 July 2010

Sunday 11/07/2010 - Tony Rixon Individual League - Landsend

It’s good to Clayton Hudson (pictured right with his new tackle) back fishing again after having his tackle stolen. The only upside to this, Clayton has all new tackle, which has earned him the nick name “Mr Shinny Tackle”. I am sure it will start working as well as the old gear soon!!

Guesting once again in Rip Off’s League at Landsend. Tony arrived with Deano who decided the van was a bit smelly so Tony fetched the broom, as we know Tony don’t do cleaning so passed it to Deano. It took a while for Deano to realise what he was doing – see short video below.

Great, I drew another flyer peg 5 on Match Lake. This peg has regularly won the Silvers in recent matches so I was delighted with this. Because of the low water levels at the moment I was amazed how high you are off the water. It’s a good job I have fished Jack Whites and use to looking down on top of my float. I decided on an out and out Silvers attack with soft pellet and paste at 10 metres and Ronnie’s and caster at 4 metres down to the LH margin. I started at 10 metres on the 6 mm expander over some damped down potted 4mm and micro. Second put in I lost a foul hooked Carp – new hook required. Let’s try the paste then, first put in another lost foul hooked Carp. I then hooked and landed a 2lb Chub on paste – my first on this bait. I became very frustrated as I was foul hooking Carp on all baits I tried – no Silvers. Decided to go after the Ronnie’s – they are more reliable – aren’t they!! In over the loose fed caster and I stated to catch small Perch one a bung with the odd Ronnie. It slowed so I slipped on a piece of corn and had a 2lb Ide. I increased the Caster feed and next thing I know I have foul hooked yet another Carp which proceeded to break my no 3, the hook pulled free and punctured my no 2. New rig required. Back out on the 10 metre line on 6mm expander and one Ide and one flying Skimmer. Back over the caster and the Carp were soon blowing on the caster feed. I was now thinking that a Silvers pickup wasn’t on the cards, so with pegs 1 & 11 bagging on Carp I decided to fish for Carp during the remaining hour and half for defaulted section. I set up a dibbler with banded 6mm pellet set to 8 inches deep and started to feed 4mm pellet to the far bank. During this period I had nine carp to 4lb still managing to lose a few foul hookers. My Carp weighed in at 38lb and the Silvers 12lb 4oz for a total of 50lb 4oz. With two 100lb weights in my section I was on for a section win by default. That was until I was told that I had picked up for fourth in the Silvers – mission partially accomplished. I think the Silvers didn’t feed because the Carp were so very active up in the water in the swim. I am left wondering if I should have fished for Carp throughout – you pay your money and take your choice. I do like having my options open through out a match as it adds more interest for me.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 29 with 156lb 2oz …. See his blog for the details.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Angling Times County League. In particular there has been a suggestion on Tony’s blog that he is in some way selecting lesser anglers to fish matches against to gain league points. I think to a degree this is true simply because unless Des Shipp is fishing the match everyone else in the County is a lesser angler than Tony. It doesn’t need a poorly thought out league to ascertain this fact. Unless you have organised matches then you don't realise the effort and phones calls that go in to it, as far as I am concerned anglers like Tony provide an excellent service to the South West match scene.

The Silvers was won by Craig Edmonds (pictured with the over winner – has Craig’s bald spot gone or is it my imagination) with 38lb of Skimmers from peg 13. Craig fished at 5 metres in to the end margin with soft pellet.


Full Result:

1. Tony Rixon 156-02-0 peg 29
2. Nick Duckett 145-14-0 peg 1
3. Dean Mallin 119-09-0 peg 31
4. John Dursley 108-0-0 peg 11
5. Fred Roberts 106-08-0 peg 19
6. Craig Edmonds 71-0-0 peg 13

Top Silvers:

1. Craig Edmonds 38-0-0 peg 13
2. Nick Collins 15-12-0 peg 21
3. Mike Baber 15-10-0 peg 3
4. Mike Nicholls 12-04-0 peg 5

No comments: