Sunday 1 August 2010

Sunday 01/08/2010 - Cider Farm Open

With the radio in the tackle box in readiness to listen to the remainder of the Paki innings in the first test match with England Bela arrived as usual dead on time at 06-30 and off to the Bishopsworth Café. As it happens 15 minutes too early, so we helped Jane by putting out the chairs. After a decent very large breakfast we off to Cider Farm.

With a good turn out both Dabinatt and Yarlington Mill were in the draw bag. Mark Gibson explained that the match was split into three sections of ten anglers – paying the top 3 in each - Yarlington Mill two sections and Dabinett one. I was nearly last to draw which is very unusual for me - bloody chatting again - I like to be first. However, I drew peg 25 which I really fancied. Bela drew peg 48 the peg I had last week so I went round and explained how and where I caught. Back to my peg and I set up a 4x16 Jolly for 6mm expander pellet at five metres for the Silvers that hang out here, plus a 0.5 gram paste rig over the same line. The last rig was a 0.2 gram paste rig for the LH margin. I started by feeding a 125ml pot of 3mm and 4mm pellet and commenced to lightly feed the LH margin. I started quite well taking a few decent Skimmers and a couple of small Carp. However, I had run out of my usual expander and bought some of the new Ringer pellet and found that they were breaking up, needing any slight interest from the fish for the pellet to come off – very frustrating – won’t be buying these again. So I switched to the paste and had a couple more Skimmers and Carp, but the paste was being attacked by 4 oz Skimmers.

Blimey 13-00 already and I had forgotton to switch on the Cricket. So out came the radio only to find the Paki's were skittled out for 80 runs. Great result - will be watching the highlights on channel five tonight.

In the mean time Lee Werrett (picture right - unwinding) was bagging at 11. 5 metres on peg 41 using paste over loose fed 6’s. I dived in to the margin far too early having two Carp before the Ronnie’s arrived. I decided to fish 13 metres in to the opposite Gap starting by putting in two 125ml of 6 mm pellet – at least I might be able to slow down Lee if not picking off some of his fish. I did have four on the paste before it went iffy. Mimicking Lee I fed two pouches of 6’s over the top and had a few more small Carp. However, Lee just carried on catching one a bung. Into the LH margin where I managed to catch Carp to 3lb steady to the end of the match. My Silvers weighed in at about 20lb and the total weigh was 66lb 6oz (666 the sign of the Devil). This put me fourth in my section (one out of the money) and 6th on Yarlington Mill.

The match was won by Pete Sivell (pictured right with runner up Lee Werrett) from Dabinett peg 28 with a new Lake and Match record of 187lb 6oz. Pete initially caught on 10mm hard pellet close in, subsequently switching to the paste fished in his RH margin.

I must mention Lee Werrett (pictured right with Bela’s peg in background - what a wonderful environment to fish in) who I watched most of the day. Lee was 7lb short of a new Lake record with 163lb 2oz. I thought Lee fished a tidy match fishing paste all day over the same line feeding 6 pints of 6 mm pellet over the top. His feeding regime was to hook a fish and whilst playing it feed two pouch full of 6’s over the top – why didn’t the fish come up in the water do I hear – the answer is - I don’t know – well done matey.

Full Result:

1. Pete Sivell 187-06-0 peg 28 Dab (New Match and Lake record
2. Lee Werrett 163-02-0 peg 41 Yar
3. Clive Petit 154-09-0 peg 12 Dab
4. Howard Green 154-01-0 peg 22 Dab
5. Steve Howell 132-14-0 peg 18 Dab
6. Gordon Jones 115-07-0 peg 1 Dab
7. Dave Cockayne 106-03-0 peg 19 Yar

2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

Every time I "don't go" to Cider Farm it fishes really well, I must be a Jonah for that place! How did Bela get on this week?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Dear Jonah
I suggest you stay away! Bela was also one out of the money in his section, with I think 45lb ish. It didn't fish well in all areas.