Saturday 14 August 2010

Saturday 14/08/2010 - Hillview Open

Today was another of my Son Steve’s Saturday outings to Hillview Fishery. Luckily this time we were on different Lakes and sections. I drew peg 37 on Heron and Steve peg 11 on Moorhen, a peg I would normally fancy, however, this Lake has not been fishing well with 11 lb winning one section. Keith Hill the owner has a rule that the margin reeds must not be damaged, but can be folded or tied back, which I needed to do to get any view of my preferred margin swim. I set up two rigs - 4x14 Jolly to be fished at 5 metres with corn or expander over pellet and the usual margin paste rig to be fished to the LH side in 30 inches of water. As the water looked clear I initially fed a dozen 4mm pellet at five metres with corn on the hook, whilst I lightly fed the margin with 4’s. First four put ins with corn I landed four Carp and lost one foul hooker. I kept some 4’s going in through the kinder pot and it wasn’t until I introduced some micro that I hooked another Carp followed by a 3lb Tench in pristine condition. After three lost foul hookers the Skimmer and Ronnie’s moved in. As the Lake wasn’t fishing that well I tried 3mm expander on the hook and had another couple of small Carp. I then had a run of Skimmers to 1lb with the odd 4oz Ronnie. With two hours to go time to visit the margin. Initially there wasn’t any sign of Carp that was until I introduced some loose fed micro. And the swim came alive with huge tail flapping on the surface! Where do I put the paste in? As I expected a foul hooker resulted, breaking me. I decided to only feed whilst playing a fish. This appeared to work, landing Carp to 18lb, but still managing to loose six further Carp, either fouler’s or through being lightly hooked. Once I had sorted the feeding I didn’t want the match to finish. I weighed 118lb 8oz for third overall.

The match was won by Nev Groves (pictured right) from peg 25 with 141lb 10oz. Nev fished at 3 metres straight out in front using 6mm expander pellet hook bait fished over loose fed 6mm hard pellet (I suppose you have to, as you can’t feed wet pellet). Nev fed 1 ½ of Keith’s scoops of 6 mm pellet (about 1 ½ pint where are weights and measures when you need them). If you put Nev on a peg with plenty of room with plenty of fish then everyone else is fishing for runner up spot. I think Nev should be handicapped similar to golf and made to fish peg 55 every week!! Well done matey your a class act.

Steve did well from his peg weighing 60lb for second on the Lake and sixth overall.

Full Result:

1. Nev Groves 141-10-0 peg 25
2. Nigel Crewe 124-05-0 peg 29
3. Mike Nicholls 118-08-0 peg 37
4. Pete Cole 78-0-0 peg 19
5. Chris Cork 71-11-0 peg 22
6. Steve Nicholls 60-0-0 peg 11

No comments: