Thursday 17 June 2010

Thursday - 17/06/2010 - Whiteacres Residents Rover

I hate Rovers as I never know where to go and as usual there is much discussion on this topic. Whatever, I do like to make sure I get a day’s fishing as it is very easy to go for the win on noted pegs and end up catching nowt. The draw is at 08:45 and you first draw your place in the peg selection queue. Clint then blanks out the peg chosen on his new “Whip Board” (Clint pictured right doing just that). There were 71booked in to fish (I have fished this match when there were up to 200 fishing so the numbers are down). So in to the hat and out comes peg 09, great – no it was 60 upside down – bugger. The highest number in the, as usual Mark Tanner had the lowest draw pulling 7 and with two missing was fifth to select his peg. Mark went for peg 7 on Jenny’s Lake. Next was Glenn and went for the Pollawyn flyer peg 20. Steve was next and went for peg 16 on Jenny’s apparently Steve likes the sound of Aerators. Last year I selected peg 15 on Python and had a days fishing. So with 14 gone I went for peg 16 to have a bit of space. I was first to arrive at my peg and was pleased to see a Lady arrive on peg 14 (a bit sexist I suppose). I went and introduced myself to Margery. The way in was Margery presented herself and was going about setting up I felt she might be a threat. My attack was based on the F1’s and the Bream that can boost your weight. So two paste rigs, one for 10 metres which took me to just down the shelf and found a depth of 7 foot. Plumbing around I found a hole directly out in front, so I fished at 11 o clock in the shallowest part. The other rig was set up to fish at 1 metre in 4 foot of water. The plan was to put two big pots of 4 mm and Micros in at 10 metres and feed the 1 metre line with diced meat, still though to fish paste over. I started on this line with paste whilst I watched my 10 metre swim erupt with fiss – amazing sight. It wasn‘t long before I was plopping the paste over it as the inside line didn’t return anything and even though I tried once more before it was dumped. First plop-in at 10 metres I had a F1 on the drop, then a period of twenty minutes of frustration. During this time the fish had dug another hole 3 inches deep, which meant I had to keep moving the float and or increasing the depth. I then had a good two hours catching F1’s and the Skimmers which weren’t showing in the numbers I had expected. Margery had been fish meat at depth and also had been catching F1’s, but had slowed, so she went on pellet fished shallow and really started to bag the F’1’s again. I started to get worried I have to report that I got Marged, especially as it was a start of a bag hour for me. This dilemma was whether to feed or not as I was concerned that I would have another period of chaos. Well I left feeding too late and found that feeding a small amount on 4 mm I was able to increase my catch rate. By now I only had six Skimmers and was pleased when the next one was a four pounder. Would the bad decision on feeding effect my placing? I was first to weigh and put 65lb 5oz on the scales. This put me 5th overall with my mistake not really costing me.


Margery weighed 55lb for first overall in the Lady’s. Margery from Leeds is (pictured right with her trophy). I must say Margery fished a really tidy match and would take plenty of £1 coins on the South West circuit.

The match was won by Dave Heaton who chose peg 21 on Sycamore. Dave weighed in 115lb 14 oz of decent size Carp all caught on the pole with polly ball and 8lb line straight through over to the far bank. It was a surprise result from this peg, with Clint double checking with Dave that he knew which peg he was on. I think Dave knew something we didn’t.

Full Result:

1. Dave Heaton 115-14-0 peg 21 Sycamore
2. Alec Hulme 96-02-0 peg 17 T/O
3. Matt Grant 82-03-0 peg 30 T/O
4. Paul Haines 78-10-0 peg 6 Sycamore
5. Mike Nicholls 65-05-0 peg 16 Python
6. Dave Holland Snr 60-11-0 peg 1 Trelawney
.....
8. Glenn Bailey 55-0-0 peg 20 Polawyn
.....
Mark Tanner 45-04-0 peg 7 Jenny's
.....
Steve Nicholls DNW

No comments: