Saturday 19 June 2010

Friday 18/06/2010 - Gwinear Open

We were booked in to Morgan Porth; however, there was some discussion on changing the venue to Gwinear because it was offering a wider choice of fishing. So with a unanimous vote we booked in to Gwinear and tendered our apologies to Janet who was a tad disappointed.


On arrival it was good to see Chris Hancock’s dog locked in his van, he is a bloody nuisance ask Marl tanner (the dog I mean). We Steve already on his way home the remaining three of us drew on Phase 2 (see picture of the Lake map). Mark on peg 51, Glenn on 50 and me on peg 46. With the wind blowing in to my end albeit it to the opposite corner I was please with the peg. Paste had been working well on the venue so this was my first choice to be fished at 11 metres at 11 o clock which happened to be the shallowest part on the swim (remains of Simon’s bars). I also set up a jolly for the same swim for soft pellet or hard pellet with a hook length change. I didn’t fancy the end margin as it was flat calm, but always simple to set up a rig if need be. I had a good start catching the 2lb Carp “Stamp” fish for the first two hours, but it was fishing strange. I would catch a couple and then lose them for a while, Chris Davis said after he had experienced a similar problem. I think it’s because the fish are very strong fighters and zoom of taking spooking the shoal. As the match progressed the fish appeared to move up in the water and then completely disappeared. Unlike Phase 1 there are few Skimmers in this Lake and I only caught three which was a bit disappointing. I weighed in a par 57lb 6oz for 7th overall. With 15 minutes left Chris's dog sneaked up behind me and jumped on my back - nearly had an heart attack - a doggy paddle followed!!


The winner was Glenn Bailey (pictured right with half his catch – plus video of his weigh-in at the bottom of the page - glenn needed 40lb frim this last weigh(turn up the volume)) with 93lb 8oz (57 Carp). Glenn’s match was the reverse of mine, struggling for the first two hours fishing paste etc.. at depth. Glenn had been loose feeding at 16 metres and with two hours to go notice fish had arrived on the surface (probably mine). So a quick change to a shallow rig and Glenn caught 40 fish in the time remaining (on hindsight I should have tried up in the water after the first two hours). I could see Glenn from my swim and I must say he fished it very well and was without doubt the worthy winner. Well done matey.

Full Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 93-08-0 peg 50
2. John Thorley 90-04-0 peg 27
3. Dave Fantom 70-08-0 peg 40
4. Mick Powell 69-02-0 peg 22
5. Chris Davis 59-12-0 peg 18
6. Andy Fantom 58-12-0 peg 21
7. Mike Nicholls 57-06-0 peg 46

… Mark Tanner 38-08-0 peg 51

This was our last day’s holiday, so off home in the morning. Glenn had a phone call from his special one and discovered than she would still be in bed ay 09:30 the following day. Come 5 o clock in the morning I heard the wheels spinning on his car waking up most of the camp site!!

We have all decided to give Whiteacres a miss next year and try Stafford Moor, so the planning starts.

No comments: