Friday 4 June 2010

Thursday 03/06/2010 - Carps AC Thursday Evening Series - Boyd Valley Lake - Round One

This was the first round of the Carps AC Thursday Individual Series PM matches at Bowd Valley Lake (Redmire). Bill Ferris and Bob Price are running the series and I was wondering what bob Price was going to contribute to the organisation, as I suspected – NOTHING – all down to Bill Ferris. I have offered to work the league results to help Bill out.

At the start there was some (no lots) of confusions as to the draw and fishing times. It has now been confirmed as 13-30 draw fish from 15-00 to 20-30. That’s 5 ½ hours Bob!

The conditions weren’t favourable for fishing, with very bright sun light and a strange wind appearing to be blowing in from the South East (however, hot air balloons were coming in from the South West, it must be to do with the Lake being in a valley) into pegs 7, 8, 9, 10, &11 (bags me one of these), this meant peg 1 was absolutely flat calm. Before the draw I walked the bank with Mike Jones and between pegs 7 and 8 I counted at least twenty cruising Carp. I drew peg 1. The shortest walk but with no wind cover I was doubtful.

On the walkabout I had decided that Silvers would play an important part towards gaining section points even though there was no Silvers pool. So it would be Silvers to start, dabbling for Carp through out with paste, then full focus in the last hour, or sooner if the sun disappeared over the hill. I decided on pellet for Skimmers at 6 metres with expander on the hook – fished only once with one Ronnie on the drop), a Ronnie caster line to my left with the anticipation that Carp would home in on the activity and an out and out paste line long to my right in various locations. I started by feeding the paste line by spreading 4 mm wetted pellet around the various locations I was planning on fishing. I started on the Ronnie’s and there were plenty of 1 to 2oz fish to be caught, but no sign of quality fish, that was until I hooked a 2 ½ lb Barbel. These fish were put in at 6oz and the last one I caught was 10oz so they have really put on some weight and the fish was in perfect condition. I kept trying the paste only to be met with the Renaldo’s. However, I did catch a few Skimmers to 1lb on the paste was it was slow. Back on the caster and Ronnie until the last hour when I decided to experiment by feeding 1 ½ pints of maggot, ½ pint of casters, 1 pint of micro and a big handful of 4 mm pellet 0 all in one go. On went a 4 mm expander and another 2oz Ronnie took the bait on the drop. Back on the paste which resulted in four small Carp. Four were lost, three of them foul hooked. My Silvers were weighed in at 16lb 12oz and my carp 9lb 10oz. This put me third in the section beaten by “Gap pegs” 2 and 4. I believe my Silver’s approach was about right.


The match was won by Kevin Dicks (pictured right with Tom Coulson’s net of Carp (as we all thought Tom had won the match and Kevin had returned his fish)) from peg 4 with 54lb 12oz. Kevin caught on the method feeder to the Gap and added a few more fishing pellet shallow at 13 metres.

Tom Coulson was runner up with 43lb 14oz. However, there was something fishy about his catch – all his Carp were all caught on Iceland’s finest Prawns.

All though there isn’t any Silvers pool or league I thought it would be of interesting and value to publish the Silvers result. After all it is a great all the year round Silvers venue.

Full Result:

1. Kevin Dicks 54-12-0 peg 3
2. Tom Coulson 43-14-0 peg 2
3. Colin Golding 27-06-0 peg 11
4. Mike Nicholls 26-06-0 peg 1
5. Mark Tanner 23-13-0 peg 5
6. John Baker 20-12-0 peg 7

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 16-12-0 peg 1
2. Kevin Dicks 15-12-0 peg 3
3. Colin Golding 15-08-0 peg 11

No comments: