Sunday 20 June 2010

Sunday 20/06/2010 - Tony Rixon Float Only League - Landsend

There was a space in Rip Off’s League at Landsend so I booked in. With the League paying four in the Silvers, the plan which was to target them using soft pellet and Paste if drawn on either Match or Specimen Lakes and caster and soft pellet if drawn on the top two Lakes. I drew peg 29 on Specimen, which does have some Skimmers history so I wasn’t disappointed, not yet anyway! Dean Mallin suggested it would be good for some Carp at 16 metres.

During my time in Project Management I had a Cardinal rule “never change the PLAN”. Unfortunately I broke my rule today at my cost. On arriving at my peg I could see six or so carp sun bathing close to the island. As there was no sign of Silver fish feeding on the bottom (or anything else). In addition to a 4x12 Jolly for the soft pellet and the usual paste float I also set up a 4x10 Drennan wire stem Chop with banded 8mm pellet (I wish I hadn’t done this). I fed my Silvers line at 13 metres with a dose of wetted micro with a few 4 mm pellet. I went over it with soft pellet and was pestered by Ronnie’s. So I picked up the Banded pellet and went over to the island. Because the Ronnie’s were active I decided not to feed this line. For the next two hours I landed five Carp and lost six foul hookers. Then the Aerator went off and so did the fish – moving back to peg 31. I kept trying the Silvers line only to be pestered by Ronnie’s, so I re-fed the line again and set up a Ronnie rig with caster. I spent ¾ of an hour catching one a bung but they were really small. I decided to loose feed the Carp line with 6mm hard pellet to see what reaction would get. So back on the Carp line and as I was half expecting the Ronnie’s were there waiting for the 8mm hard pellet! So with 20 minutes to go I decided to fish paste over the Silver line to the end. This is where I am kicking myself for not adhering to the PLAN. I had two Bream for 9lb and lost another foul hooked Carp on the all out (up in the water). My Silvers weighed 15lb and was one out of the Silvers pool (defaulted). My five Carp took my overall weight to 37lb 12oz. I thought I was too old to re-learn these lessons but obviously not.

During the match Joss Garrett caught an 11lb 2oz Grass Carp which had to be weighed and returned – Joss and this magnificent fish is pictured right.

The match was won by Craig “Trigger” Edmonds (pictured lower right with runner up Neil Mercer who was on the next peg (empty peg between them)) with 100lb 12oz from peg 36. Craig fished for Silvers for the first two hours as this wasn’t producing he switched to 16 metres with banded 8mm pellet. As he had been feeding the line from the start he had an instant start and caught Carp to 10lb steady to the end. Craig fed about 2 points of 6mm pellet.

And finally I must mention my travelling partner Bela Bakos who picked up his section pool from peg 40 by coming last in his section!!!


Full Result:

1. Craig Edmonds 100-12-0 peg 36
2. Neil Mercer 94-0-0 peg 38
3. Joss Garrett 79-07-0 peg 26
4. Leon Hubbard 66-04-0 peg 33
5. Tim Clarke 65-01-0 peg 41
6. Tom Magnol 64-08-0 peg 16

Top Silvers:

1. Vince Brown 31-03-0 peg 4
2. Shaun Townsend 21-0-0 peg 37
3. Martin Pettifore 19-01-0 peg 27

2 comments:

timmy said...

mike i was 5th matey me and my grandson are upset

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Timmy

Sorry mate I hope the Grandson is happy now!!