Sunday 13 June 2010

Sunday 13/06/2010 - Gwinear Open

It was nice to be back to Gwinear. I do like this venue and I was hoping to be on phase one or two – particularly phase one due to the large head of decent Skimmers. Yippee I drew phase one – peg 3 (see the Lake Map right).

The grape vine was saying either 8mm pellet or paste. So I set up a 4x16 Jolly for expander pellet and a paste rig, both to be fished at 6 metres. Plus a small paste float for the shallow 30 inch RH margin. First mistake was feeding micro pellet on the 6 metre line. The pellet was being ripped off by small Tench to 4oz attracted by my small fed. I did have a 2lb Skimmer, but I was putting back more Tench than I was catching it’s like trying to unhook a bar of soap that wriggles! I had been feeding 4 mm wetted pellet in to the margin so have re-fed the 6 metre line with 4 mm pellet I had a dabble with paste and had a run of Skimmers to 3lb. Time to try the paste at 6 metres. Another run of decent Skimmers followed with the occasional Carp to 3lb. I found that by topping up after every fish with 4mm pellet through the Kinder pot kept them going. I wish I had started this way as it cost me a higher framing position. My Skimmers and tiny Tench weighed in at 29lb 6oz and my Carp 32lb 8oz for a total of 61lb 14oz as it only took 45lb to win last Friday so I was hopeful, however, it wasn’t to be as this put 4th overall.


The match was won by Chris Hancock (pictured right (centre) with runner ups Mark Lazzel and Bob Dac) with 72lb 12oz. Chris fished similarly to me but had the advantage of being able to fish in to the end peg margin. Chris used both paste and hard 8 mm pellet on the hook.

Full Result:

1. Chris Hancock 72-12-0 peg 1
2. Mark Lazzel 66-04-0 peg 36
3. Bob Dac 64-14-0 peg 46
4. Mike Nicholls 61-14-0 peg 3
5. Skip McCabe 48-12-0 peg 50
6. Mark Tanner 46-04-0 peg 5

Steve Nicholls 36lb peg 51.

No comments: