Wednesday 30 June 2021

Tuesday 29/06/2021 - Acorn Cost Cutter - Paddocks

Getting the kit ready I tripped and bruised my ribs, so considered cancelling. However, the Special One was out with friends so went hoping I wouldn't draw the Island. Luckily Mike Chapman offered me an early draw without the island pegs which I accepted knowing that this would increase the chances of drawing a bloody Bridge peg, which I prefer not to fish. So I was handed peg 34!!

Went and had a look in the new Acorn tackle shop and met with Zoe and Mark (pictured right). I must say the shop is well stocked and with Zoe as head buyer will soon be bursting at the seams. The maggots looked in exceptional good condition. Well worth a visit.

Had a chat with Mark and he explained that finding a depth of 18 inches would be important. I knew this would be difficult on peg 34 unless I fished over, which wasn't going to happen.

Back to the peg and plumbed around and found the shallowest margin I could reach was around to my left but found it still nearly three foot deep with a tiny shallower area that was only three 3 inches wide, couldn't see that being any good. Mark was to be proved correct.

What followed is something I haven't experienced before. I started in the left hand margin LR's over GB and had a couple of 2 lb Skimmers fly off, one on to the bank! I landed two and a 2 lb Perch and a few Ronnie's. That said I was getting liners all the time from the Silvers and foul hooked some. I changed to a very light rig and 20 hook, but didn't really expect any change because the fish were just not feeding properly, which proved correct. More liners from Silvers which is very strange to experience as they look like bites so a lot of striking to no avail, just more fouling. It was the same with worm hook bait. As anticipated it was only the anglers fishing the pole over that was catching, but not that well. Before and during the match I set up at least eight different rigs. I did catch one Carp out in front over loose fed maggot. Everyone was struggling and banked on catching some better Carp late on to catch up, but due to the football starting at 5 pm the match started 30 minutes early so we would finish at 3:30 pm reducing Carp o clock to 30 minutes. In the last 45 minutes I went down the RH side margin catching four more Carp on double LR's over DR's but was foul hooking many. Come the all out I really wanted to fish on as I felt I hadn't exhausted all my options and wanted so sort this new experience out, but football and a couple or three beers was calling.

My Silvers weighed 6 lb 14 oz and my five Carp 12 lb for a nowhere weight of 18 lb 14 oz but did beat all those around plenty of some DNW's. Save to say it was many anglers suffered their lowest weights at the usually prolific venue, including me. But it was a good experience. On hindsight I should have focused more on the Silvers with the Ronnie rig.

Conclusion: The deeper the water the lower the oxygen levels, the fish preferring oxygen rather than feed today.

The match was won by Steve "John Boy" Howell (pictured) with 59 lb 7 oz from Island peg 1. Steve caught long using maggot hook bait over GB and maggot feed.

The Silvers was won by organiser Mike Chapman (picture) with an exceptional on the day weight of 23 lb from peg 10. Mike caught short on Chopped worm and caster.

Result:

England 2 Germany 0

1. Steve Howell 59-7-0 peg 1

2. Bob Smith 52-07-0 peg 13

3. John Hawkins 2-06-0 peg 38

4. Lee Waller 47-06-0 peg 40

Silvers:

1. Mike Chapman 23-0-0 peg 10

2. Martin Alexander 11-10-0 peg 7

2. G. Brinza 11-10-0 peg 19

Weigh Sheets:





No comments: