Friday 2 July 2021

Thursday 01/07/2021 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Short Walks - Bridge Pool

Last minute decision to fish today as I had planned to watch the local cricket 20/20 derby match, Somerset v Gloucestershire, which we cancelled due to some mates having to self isolate. My team won!

Arrived in plenty of time for my usual wander round. The Pool looked in good nick with plenty of fish showing. I fancied peg 1 near the aerator. Good turn out of 25.

Dave Gillard pulled me peg 31, an area I just can't get away from. For company I had Dave Poole on 32 and Dave Haines peg 30. This use to be a good area for a few better Carp, but not nowadays due to them being removed, just a handful left.

I set up the waggler for over to the opposite island incase of a struggle, not for F1's as they don't seem to hold up here, but Silvers. Then a short and long Ronnie rigs. The pole stayed in the case.

I fed the waggler line with LR's and both short and long Ronnie lines with neat GB. Started on the short line with single LR and caught Ronnie's straight away and had a really good couple of hours catching mainly Ronnie's to 3 oz with a smattering of Perch which seem to have grown on some this year. Went out on the long rig and had two Skimmers one good one, I was soon back on the short line as the wait for a bite was far too long to catch similar size fish. I kept the GB going in on both lines and had a cast on the waggler and again was catching the same size fish and with the wind picking up it was soon retired. Back on the short line and found it quiet and was soon to find some F1's had moved in over the GB and had three very quickly, still the Silvers were being canny so set up a paste rig and have two more F1's then back on the Ronnie rig and started to catch again. As the match progressed the harder it became so by switching around I kept a few more coming including another decent Skimmer. Had there still been any number of Carp left in the Pool I would have one, very few caught today. I think it needs restocking with a mix of 2-3lb Carp.

My Silvers weighed 20 lb 12 oz for a section Silvers win and top Silvers on the day. The five F1's weighed 8 lb 7 oz definitely growing.

The match was won by Dave Wride (pictured with the Silvers winner) with 53 lb 10 oz from peg 27. Dave caught "on the pole in the water".

Back to the pub with the usual suspects. Getting use to this table service one positive to come out of the epidemic.

Result:

A Section:

1. Bob Feltham 48-0-0 peg 1

Silvers: Paul Clayton 12-09-0 peg 6

B Section:

1. Rob Baker 38-0-0 peg 19

Silvers: Phil Morgan 9-04-0 peg 17

C Section:

1. Dave Wride 53-10-0 peg 27

Silvers: Paul Barnfield 13-06-0 peg 24

D Section:

1. Paul Haines 36-12-0 peg 29

Silvers: Mike Nicholls 20-12-0 peg 31

Weigh Sheets:





No comments: