Friday 23 July 2021

Thursday 22/07/2021 - Ray Bazeley's Rip Off - Windmill - Match Lake

Another beautiful hot summers day. Had a walk around the Lake with Kev Winstone, both noticing how coloured the Lake was - hopefully feeding fish. I thought the Silvers fishing might be harder this match because it being flat calm and bright. They like the wind on this venue with plenty of tow against.


Ray did his usual pre-match chat. Hasn't had a complaint in 50 years! Following this the swim cards were thrown in the air, I picked up the one nearest to me - peg 10. Happy with this albeit it being predominantly a Carp peg.

Umbrella first to be put up, would provide shelter from the sun for most of the match (where was Jane?)

Whilst setting up noticed that the right hand margin had coloured up. Carp looking for food?

Had a plan - fish for Silvers with the Ronnie rig with LR's and GB until I hooked Carp then switch an RJ paste Bullet. So just the two rigs - simple.

It was nearly on the hour that I hooked an enormous Carp scale! By then I had 14 lb 9 oz of Silvers mainly hand size Skimmers, so switched to paste and didn't look back having a steady days fishing. I landed 25 Carp averaging 5 lb 10 oz. Only one issue today having a spade end slip - also known as a "curly whirly" I think the spade cut the line.

Silvers weighed 14 lb 9 oz and adding my Carp took me to 155 lb 9 oz for a match win. I think I could have also won the Silvers but not both.

As expected the Silver weights were down with the Silvers being won accidentally by Dave Willmott (pictured with the match winner) with 19 lb 13 oz from peg 17. Dave caught some decent Skimmers on meat whilst trying to catch Carp!

Back to the "Ringer" with the usual suspects - table service gone and the pub back to normal - nice to see - fingers crossed.

Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 155-09-0 peg 10
2. Paul Haines 137-0-0 peg 5
3. Dave Willmott 123-06-0 peg 17
4. Andy Gard 95-12-0 peg 18
5. Glenn Bailey 93-13-0 peg 21
6. Larry Laing 81-01-0 peg 8

Silvers:

1. Dave Willmott 19-13-0 peg 17
2. Dave Haines 14-14-0 peg 20
3. Mike Chapman 14-12-0 peg 19

Weigh Sheet:




















 

No comments: