Friday 9 July 2021

Thursday 08/07/2021 - Ray Bazeley's Rip Off - Windmill - Match Lake

A few of the lads had been out swim clearing including John "Cliff" Smith pictured right with one of his top sets he broke retrieving from the Lake. I must say they done a great job. It was good to see Ken Morgan back out fishing with us. We had a walk around the Lake all the signs were it would fish OK today with a few Carp showing. The weather looked conducive too.
Ray did his usual draw system; throwing the swim cards in the air. I picked the closest to me and found myself on peg 8, thinking more of a Carp peg than Silvers.

After all the nervous energy expended last night watching the football I felt a bit lethargic and even though I had plenty of room with pegs 7 and 9 not in the draw decided to fish for Carp. So set up two paste rigs one for the margin and one for just up the inside shelf out in front. I also set up the short Ronnie rig incase the Carp plan bored me.

Fed both paste lines with micro and started on the deeper line and fouled hooked a Carp first put in. I then had a run of six accidental decent Skimmers!! Started to think I should changed to Silvers when I hooked a Carp followed by another. The nibblers arrived in the shape of small Skimmers. So had an early look in the margin to find more nibblers.

Suddenly there was a mini tsunami. I was glad I had my wellies on. The cause; Kev Winstone falling in complete with box. No one laughed - much. No fags for him for the rest of the match.

I had to stretch the legs so had a walk around the Lake, most were catching a few. So went back and couldn't help myself and picked up the Ronnie rig and had a Rudd and Ronnie one a bung albeit averaging 2 oz on LR's over loose fed LR's. With 45 minutes left I hooked a Carp which took the complete Ronnie rig. I couldn't be assed to set up another so went in the Margin with the paste over micro and had a run of big Carp adding about 40 lb with one fish of about 18 lb.

My Silvers weighed 24 lb for second in the Silvers by 5 oz, with my total weight of 78 lb 10 oz for second overall by one decent Carp, so mission near enough completed.

The match was won by Paul Haines (pictured right  with the Silvers winner) with 87 lb from peg 4. Paul caught initially on the method, later switching to the pole gradually working back to his margins for the final throws.

The Silvers was won by Dave Haines from peg 12 with 24 lb 5 oz. Dave caught on maggot down his LH margin. His catch included a couple of Bream.

As I suspected it fished well today with eight double figure silver weights and plenty of Carp caught. Just need to sort out the platforms and it will be a great local venue.

It was back to the Ringer with the usual suspects. There's no doubt a pint goes down well after a match.

Result:

1. Paul Haines 87-0-0 peg 4
2. Mike Nicholls 78-10-0 peg 8

Silvers:

1. Dave Haines 24-05-0 peg 12
2. Mike Nicholls 24-0-0 peg 8

Sections:

A  George Sumsion 55-02-0 peg 6
B John Smith 77-09-0 peg 18

Weigh Sheets:








No comments: