Monday 26 July 2021

Sunday 25-07-2021 - Ivy House Open - Heron Lake

Wasn't too much on this weekend so Glenn and me decided to try Ivy House - Heron Lake, although Glenn would have preferred the Match Lake. Paste seem to be the way to win even though they are small Carp averaging 1 lb. No Silvers except a few Chub (however I did see a Ronnie top). A good turn out from the Bristol boys on both Lakes.

I was pulled peg 14 and Glenn 7. I found myself next to regular Martin Rayet on peg 13 where the last two matches has been won. I was told the best area were pegs 6 to 13.

My main attack would be paste on the top set but also felt maggot might work, so set up two paste floats an RJ paste bullet for the both margins and a shotted 0.3 for out in front. The maggot rig was a 4x12 Speedy for the RH margin where I would feed maggot and GB.

I fed the GB/maggot in the RH side and a pot of micro in the LH, but left the in front line until later. Started on the paste and had 1 lb Carp first put in and and had a reasonable hour potting micro and loose feeding hard 4's. It slowed a bit so tried double LR in the RH side where I had been loose feeding LR's. I was amazed I couldn't get a bite on it. In fact wasted some time on this when time is against you in a fish race. Back on the paste opening up the out in front line and kept adding small Carp from both lines. The last quarter slowed and was pestered by small black 3 oz Carp nibbling the paste. Reducing the size of paste didn't make any difference. I was now off the pace with Martin who had also slowed but was adding better Carp on the shallow caster.

With about 50 Carp in the first two nets I stopped counting on the third as I unlikely to get to the 50. I reckon I had about 125 Carp for 121 lb 4 oz fir 6th overall. Certainly a fish race where you cannot afford to experiment as I did with maggot and it certainly doesn't help if you have an enlarged prostrate! One piss equals two fish, I had four! Certainly something different. Match Lake next time me thinks, leave this for the younger anglers.

The match was won by Stitch (pictured with some of his small Carp) with 169 lb 6 oz from peg 11. Stitch caught on Paste over loose fed 6's and 4's from his margins and out in front where he caught most of his Carp.

Glenn was beaten off the next peg by Willy Willmott by just 2 oz!!

Back to the pub with the usual suspects to round off another memorable day. next Sunday another fish race at Todber - note to self - don't drink too many black teas before hand.

Result:

1. Stitch 169-06-0 peg 11

2. Joe McMahon 138-10-0 peg 8

3. Shaun Townsend 135-10-0 peg 22

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: