Monday 21 June 2021

Sunday 20/06/2021 - Tony Rixon Float Only - Round Two - Shiplate Fishery - Main, Westpool and Hawthorns

I missed the first match of this series, luckily matey Tim Ford stood in for me. However, I will miss another due to the Special One booking a weekend away. So only fishing for match day rewards.

Met Ryan Jordan in the car park who asked if I would try out some of his floats. If they work as good as they look they should be the business. I've not used a green tip as of yet. 

I was hoping to draw on the Main Lake to fish for the Silvers, but wasn't to be instead I drew peg Westpool 4. So no chance of picking up in the Silvers pool. So Carp it would be.

Found myself between Landsend regular Rod Wotton on peg 6 and Venue expert Steve Howell peg 3 Very cosy pegs. Steve said we were at the right end which is correct for some of the time but not all of the time!! I wasn't so sure as I have come to recognise the moods of this Pool and all the signs were that we would struggle. Clint on peg 1 had lots of Carp sucking around the recirculating water pipe.

Set up the usual paste rigs, one for out in front top set plus one barrel and one for both margins. Third rig was a 4x10 Roob to fish corn in either margin. After feeding the LH margin with maggot and the other corn I started positive with a full pot of micro on the longer paste line. No signs of  my quarry only a couple of nibbles from tiny fish. My worries were confirmed. Steve and Rod had caught one Carp each fishing long over, but were foul hooking loads. I tried the corn - nothing, then the paste over maggot - nothing. Every one was struggling around me, but looked like they were catching a few at the other end. After 90 minutes I was blanking, so got both short and long Ronnie rigs out starting on the short I started to catch micro Ronnie's over the maggot line. On the long Ronnie rig over a bit of GB and LR's I had a couple of small Skimmers. I had a visit from matey Podge who was on peg 7 and who was still blanking, it wasn't long before he said cheerio and was off to watch the footy. I had about 50 fish which would weigh next to nothing. I started to loose feed the line with LR's and noticed a swirl followed by the line dying. The Carp appeared to be taking the maggot on the drop. So went top set plus one barrel down the LH edge using the corn rig with triple LR's, kindering in a few LR's and soon had my first of seven Carp. However, I upped the feed near the end and started to foul so didn't feeding for a while. The bank on this peg is set back off the water which makes it very  difficult to net fish and cost me one which I had in the net once - bugger.

My Silvers weighed 4 lb 12 oz and my Carp 35 lb 14oz for a total of 40 lb 10 oz a face saving weight. I wished I had set up the waggler as with maggot on a slow drop might have caught some early Carp.

The match was won by Dan White (pictured) with 148 lb 10oz from Main Lake peg 13 which included 41 lb of Skimmers. Dan caught everything short on meat, just being patient as was too windy to do anything else. He had 2 carp late down the edge on maggots.

The Main Lake Silvers went nuts and produced a close affair where Dave Lewis (pictured right with his Skimmer catch) on peg 7 came out on top with 51 lb 6 oz. Dave caught on meat at 13 metres feeding about two small tins throughout. He caught a few short on my now redundant casters I gave him. Well done matey.  Runner up Tom Thick caught similarly catching 48 lb 12 oz of Skimmer.

Result:

1. Dan White 148-10-0 peg M13

2. Tom Mangnell 128-0-0 peg W13

3. Russ Peck 108-10-0 peg M14B

Silvers:

1. Dave Lewis 51-06-0 peg M7

2. Tom Thick 48-12-0 peg M6

Weigh Sheets:







No comments: