Monday 7 June 2021

Sunday 06/06/2021 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Eight - Final Round - Taylor's Pool and Shipp's Canal

Seemed like a long league with the false start in December 2020 due to Covids to now early June 2021. That said its been very enjoyable - great company and well organised by Bri Shanks.

Arrived early and I must say the fishery look great and well groomed even under the grey skies - all thanks to Mark Taylor. Mark over the past few years has really worked hard to turn this small fishery around. Now a very popular local pretty fishery.

My turn on Taylors Pool and was hoping for a decent draw as I was in contention for the league and the pairs. However, I picked up disc 15, the same peg my pairs partner struggled on last match. The peg has fished poor all through this league.

Found myself next to Lee who is a good on the long pole - peg 16 and Lynol - peg 14. As I had open water I set up the waggler for LR's over double LR's, a margin rig 4x10 on the top-set to the left and (which didn't see any action) a 4x14 to fish top set plus one in front. I had decided to initially focus on the silvers and keep testing the waggler for Carp.

I fed LR's on the waggler line, the margin with micro and the Silvers line with GB laced with smelly DP's, started on this line with single LR and started to catch small perch and Rudd with some falling off so set up the Ronnie rig which improved the capture rate. I had a few Skimmers but it didn't feel right as the bottom seemed to by uneven. After the first hour and two tests on the waggler to no avail I had a third test and had a small Carp. So decided to stay with it for the remaining fours hours and on and off kept a few Carp coming and started to catch up with those that were catching Carp from the off. The third hour was very productive which tailed off in the final hour and with all of us now struggling I knew I had won the Lake.

My Silvers weighed 6lb 8oz and my Carp 26lb 4oz for a Lake win weight of  32lb 12oz.

The Lake Silvers was won by Lynol (pictured with the Lake winner) with 11lb 2oz only 2 oz from being the heaviest league silver weight. Lynol caught at top-set plus one using corn hook bait over neat GB.

Ricky Mills (pictured with the Canal silvers winner) won Shipps Canal with the heaviest league catch of 67lb 4oz from peg 11. Ricky caught down his margin fishing a bunch of maggots over potted deads.

Both me and Martin managed to catch a few and see of our nearest rivals in the pairs - Steve Rogers and Tony Mears but only by 20 lb over the eight matches. Both of us shared the same winning points with Martin coming out on top with the higher weight - well done partner. Very close league, which is how it should be.

Looking forward to this years Winter League.

Back to the pub with the usual suspects - including my pairs partner Martin McMahon!!

Result on the day:

Taylors Pool:

1.Mike Nicholls 32-12-0 peg 15

2. Alan Jones 23-02-0 peg 18

Silvers: 

Lynol 11-02-0 peg 14

Shipps Canal:

1. Ricky Mills 67-04-0 peg 11

2. Brian Shanks 50-01-0 peg 2

Silvers:

John Clarke 7-01-0 peg 4

Weigh Sheet:











Final Overall League (all pictured below):

1. Martin McMahon 12 points 203lb 5oz

2. Mike Nicholls 12 points 152lb 5oz

3. Tony Mears 14 points 159lb 5oz

4. Bela Bakos 16 points 212lb 6oz

5. Lee Waller 16 points 142lb 10oz

Pairs:

Martin McMahon/Mike Nicholls 355lb 10oz

Highest League Weights:

Highest overall weight: Ricky Mills 67ln 4oz

Highest silvers weight: Bela Bakos 11lb 10oz

No comments: