Friday 14 May 2021

Thursday 13/05/2021 - Shiplate Cost Cutter - Main Lake

Shiplate shop sign - reasonably priced Maggots?

Thought I should introduce everyone to " Spit the dog", aka Tilly (pictured right). All I will say don't put your hand near her mouth! My Grandfather had one of the same breed.

I had a walk around the Lake the weather conditions were forecast to be horrendous with rain all day with a brisk Northerly wind which would be blowing directly into peg 9.

Third out of the hat and was given peg 9! It's a peg I would settled for any day, but was concerned about the conditions today. Walking to the peg with John Andres I told him that from my previous time I drew the peg felt it would be good for Carp especially along the LH margin, and I might give it a proper try today.

Set up the box etc... and tried putting up the umbrella, but the wind was a bit strong and with the rain currently light soon put it down in fear of a Mary Poppins.

I set up a 4x13 MR to fish top-set plus one barrel in front (same as the previous match on this peg when I won the Silvers) and a 0.3 gram paste rig to fish along the LH margin with two barrels. Fed the margin with micro and began lightly feeding hard fours over the top. Fed the Silvers line with GB laced with DR's and some DP's. Right away I noticed the fizzing over it, but knew it wasn't Carp. I was convinced it was the "Winstone Eel". With double LR on the hook I was soon playing whatever, but knew instantly it was a Tench which was about 1 1/2lb. I had another the size and a better one of about 21/2 lb. It went quiet so refed, however, it took a while to catch another fish which was a tiny Skimmer. I then had a run of small Skimmers and Ronnie's it was far from manic. The rain and wind picked up so was forced to chance putting the brolly up and thought it time to sit sideways so I wasn't facing the wind, so tried the margin with paste. First put in and I landed a beautiful, scale perfect 7 lb Ghost Carp. In again a straight away I playing a fouler which shed the hook. Some Carp about then. In again and another beautiful silver Common about 8lb. I lost two more foulers before it slowed. As I wasn't getting any nibblers I assumed there were more Carp about so stayed with it until my thumbs and index fingers got a form of cramp with them locking up and couldn't hold the pole properly. This lead me to thinking a DNW might be the most sensible thing to do. However, my never give up attitude kicked in. So I set up the Ronnie rig which I could rest on the keep net. Then I remembered a friend who is also on to same medication as I am at the moment said to run hot water over the hands. So with the green tea still in the flask used that and after a fashion it worked. I spent the last two hours on the Ronnie rig catch small fish adding about another 12 lb to the 10 lb I already estimated I had. I was bloody freezing and thank heavens John weighed us in quickly so I could warm up.

My two Carp weighed 15lb 2oz and my Silvers 22lb 14oz for and total of 38lb for about halfway in each. The Silvers had a right munch all round the lake today which did surprise me as I expected 20 lb to be good. It appears that there are more anglers fishing for Silvers than there are fishing for Carp at the venue at the mo.

The match was won once again by Gary Flinders (pictured with the Silvers winner) with 98lb from peg 11.

The Silvers was won by Tom Thick with 30lb 8oz next to the winner on peg 12. Tom was also second overall.

As I was in a rush to get the car heater on I'm not sure how they caught except they both fished 13 metres on the pole. Guessing Gary Pellet and Tom maggot and his intelligent GB.

Hands a bit stiff this morning. 

Result:

1. Gary Flinders 98-0-0 peg 11

2. Tom Thick 72-08-0 peg 12

3. Kevin Winstone 64-10-0 peg Zero

Silvers:

1. Tom Thick 30-08-0 peg 12

2. Dave S 28-13-0 peg 14

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: