Monday 3 May 2021

Sunday 02/05/2021 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Five - Taylors Pool and Shipp's Canal

We had a heavy, but short rain storm last evening. I went out to the car this morning at 6 am to find another frost and the car covered in frozen rain. I went back out at 6:30 am to find the frost and ice on the car gone. I reckon the temperature had increased by 3 degrees in 30 minutes.

My turn on Shipp's canal. I pulled myself peg 9, which is the wrong side of the canal for the majority of the Carp. So I was immediately thinking the only way for a pay day would be the silvers. So with only 2 lb 1 oz winning it last match I set this as my target - its was going to be a long day! However, I did have plenty of room as peg 7 wasn't drawn.

My back issues has returned due to lifting something too heavy too far and steeping too high off the step ladder. So I have to be careful today.

Accordingly, I set up the Ronnie rig, a 4x13 MR and a light stepped straight loaded Drake waggler to fish all round to hopefully nick the odd silver.

I started by feeding three lines with pinkie in a small knub of GB, starting on the Ronnie rig and have a couple of micro Perch and a Ronnie. This died so went out to two barrels with the MR and double Pinkie finding the small Crucians had arrived. In these matches they don't count as Silvers and being anything from 2 oz to 8 oz they don't really contribute to the Carp weight either, so a nothing fish, plus they are annoyingly hard to catch. I had a run of these and one welcome 4 oz Skimmer before I picked up the waggler and fished it towards the left hand island with single LR over loose fed LR's and picked off the occasional Ronnie, Perch and Rudd. I then had a nice little run of F1's, about ten. I then hooked a right lump which did me in the opposite island which is full of under water brambles. This died so rested it, hoping the big Carp basking in peg 7 might come round the corner - they didn't. With an hour to go and knowing there were some decent Perch in the Canal I fed a new line down to my right with neat finely chopped worm and with worm head on the hook had two small one's, pulling out of a better one.

My Crucians and F1's weighed 13lb 9oz and my Silvers 2lb 4oz which got me first in the Canal Silvers - so mission accomplished. All though my total weight was only 15lb 13oz I still got a few points and in fact other my back playing up I enjoyed it. A week off fishing now for various reasons.

Lee Waller (pictured with the Silvers winner) won the Canal with 36lb 10oz from peg 3. Lee caught initially over with hard pellet catching a few small Carp and one 10 lb before switching to the meat down the track to keep small Carp coming.

Taylors was won by Martin McMahon (pictured with the Silvers winner) with 33lb 12oz from peg 20. Martin caught on 6 mm banded over hard 4's at 16 metres. With Bela Bakos winning the Silvers with an impressive weight of 11lb 10oz . Bela caught short using Pinkie over GB.

And finally - had my first pub pint since lockdown with the usual suspects.

Result:

Taylors:

1. Martin McMahon 33-12-0 peg 20

2. Mark Taylor 29-05-0 peg 26

Silvers: Bela Bakos 11-10-0 peg 18

Shipps:

1. Lee Waller 36-10-0 peg 3

2. Lynol 33-09-0 peg 5

Silvers: Mike Nicholls 2-08-0 peg 9

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: