Monday 31 May 2021

Sunday 30/05/2021 - Shiplate Farm - Tony Rixon's Continental Rip Off - Hawthorne's and Westpool

Travelled with Two Pots who at the moment is struggling to get his favoured paste to work, which isn't surprising considering the weather conditions we have suffered during this Spring. I was surprised when he said he might have to fish other baits!!

Both Canals in, so hoping for Hawthorne's, luckily I was shouted Hawthorne peg 4. Great company with Aron Britnell peg 3 and John Bradford 6, who I've not seen for  while. Both of us would be targeting Silvers.

With the weather vastly improving with a beautiful morning and plenty of shorts on display, which will bring the inevitable spawning fish which was instantly noticeable - Carp spawning with the Silvers following in behind eating it. So plenty of distracting splashing, mainly on the far bank.

I started on the usual 4x13 MR with DR's on the hook over GB laced with DP's at top set. I couldn't believe I couldn't get a bite. But did lose 4 foul hooked Carp. The upshot was after trying for an hour a verity of things to catch for a Silver my thinking was that only two species that might not be part of the mega spawn munch - Chub and Eels. As I have only caught Eels in this canal I decided to dump pot lots of DR's at two barrels and watch for a reaction - unfortunately it didn't come so never tried it. John paid me a visit and he was suffering the same as me. So I switched to fishing for Carp. Three lines top set for the meat out in front, paste rig for the LH side margin and corn rig for the RH side (pictured above - only lost one in the tree stump). Well I had two Carp on the paste, two on the meat and twelve on the corn. John came down again and had thrown in the towel and said the bloke next to him had 24 Carp fishing shallow with caster - I told him that would be Caster Culpin then.

My 14 Carp weighed 66lb 6oz for sixth overall.  I hate hindsight should have fished for Carp from the beginning.

The match was won by Matt Culpin (pictured with some of his catch) with nearly double the next weight with 195lb 12oz. Matt caught to his strength feeding hand fed caster fishing 6 to 18 inch deep. with banded caster. Well done matey. Matt also won the Canal silvers catching one 1lb Chub, the only silver weighed in. However, Chris Fox had a Chub but didn't weigh it separately so this mistake cost him £40!

Only two Silver weights came from Westpool with Ron Stark (pictured with the match winner) winning with 9lb 2oz. 

Result:

1. Matt Culpin 195-12-0 peg 7 H

2. Alex Murry 102-04-0 peg 12 W

3. Russ Peck 74-14-0 peg 13 H

4. Chris Fox 73-08-0 peg 9 H

5. S Brown 66-11-0 peg 4 W

6. Mike Nicholls 66-06-0 peg 4 H

Silvers:

1. Ron Stark 9-02-0 peg 3 W

2. Paul Faiers 4-0-0 peg 1 W

3. Matt Culpin 1-0-0 peg 7 H

Weigh Sheets:


No comments: