Monday 24 May 2021

Sunday 23/05/2021 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Seven - Taylors Pool and Shipp's Canal

I was booked into Tony's float only at The Sedges, one of my favourite venues. However, as reserves don't count in this winter league and Martin McMahon and me were winning the pairs I thought it wouldn't be right to miss a match so Tim Ford kindly stepped in for me at Sedges. The pairs are decided on total weight over the eight matches.

All dried out from Thursday's match only to be well aware we were in for another soaking today. What an awful day weather wise. My last turn on Shipp's canal and drew peg 3 which can be OK and would be my first time on this peg. Up to now I have focused n the Silvers in the first half on the match, but today I needed to build our pairs weight so would target Carp, so set up 11.5 metres to fish the far bank island and would need doubled shipping, for this. I used a 4x14 Roob as it's risky to fish too close, as the peg has a reputation of lost top-sets in the the underwater brambles. I would use the same rig shallowed up a tad to fish the LH margin which is also deep at just under three foot. A paste rig was for the same margin for later in the match. Finally, a 4x14 Winter Titan to fish down the track.
I fed the far bank with soaked 4's and micro and the margin with the similar. I started down the track with GB laced with DR's and single LR on the hook and was get indication straight away which I am familiar with - bloody 4 oz Crucians. After catching a few of them I abandoned the line in favour of the far bank with 6mm expander and again the tell-tell signs of Crucians, so switch to maggot and yes they were the culprits. Thought I would have an early look in the margin with paste, surely the Crucians won't be here too. Yes they were, I actually caught one on paste! They were now doing my head in. Tried all the lines again with double LR's, the wind was driving the float with it making presentation terrible on the longer lines, result, more of the same. 90 minutes to go I reckon I had about 8lb of Crucians and 1lb of Silvers so was well behind everyone in the section. I felt I needed to try and pick up the tow against the wind so came short with the Titan and by adding another back shot and sinking the line manage to pickup some tow. With single LR on the hook and loose feeding LR's I started to catch some some small Mirror and Common Carp. With an hour to go Tony next door pointed out my partner was packing up!!! Which he had and started walking around. I must say I was a bit pissed off about this as the last hour can be productive - another 5lb might make the difference come the final match. I think I had over done the loose feed, so lessen and had two Carp one about 3lb and another right at the death of 4lb - "fish on".

My Silvers weighed 2lb 4oz my Crucians weighed 9lb and my Carp 12lb 14oz for second in the section of 24lb 2oz and another pick up. Martin was last in his section with 5lb 8oz, which he possibly could have doubled in the last hour! Shipp's was won by Tony (pictured with his catch) with 31lb 9oz from peg 4. Tony initially caught on bread the switched to meat over micro fishing 1 metre off the far bank. The Silvers was won by Simon (pictured drying out in his van) from peg 2 with 2lb 12oz. Simon caught short on maggot over loose fed maggot. Taylors and the match was won Bela Bakos (pictured with his catch) with the highest weight of the series of 48lb 8oz. Bela caught long over to the island using 6mm banded over loose fed 4's. Mark Taylor took the Silvers from peg 18 with 11lb. Mark caught over GB and kindered maggot with maggot hook bait. Mark pictured posing with the scales.


Back to the pub - INDOORS with the usual suspects except one - wonder who drank the spare pint? Good company.

Result:

Shipp's

1. Tony Mears 31-09-0 peg 4
2.Mike Nicholls 24-02-0 peg 3

Silvers: Simon Belcham 2-12-0 peg 2

Taylor's

1. Bela Bakos 48-08-0 peg 26
2. Steve Rogers 29-12-0 peg 14

Silvers: 

Mark 11-0-0 peg 18

Soggy Weigh Sheet:



Top 9 in League with one match remaining: All subject to Bri Shanks confirmation:


No comments: