Monday 10 May 2021

Sunday 09/05/2021 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Six - Taylors Pool and Shipp's Canal

Well it looks like we have seen the back of the continuous frost to be replaced with slightly warmer, but changeable weather. Lets hope the fish appreciates this and start feeding proper.

I swapped my Boss box's to the canal one, so until I get familiar with what's in what drawer there would be of searching going on today.

My turn on Taylors Pool and with the wind hacking across the pool, the far side would be the place to be. I pull peg 21 which puts me the far side and in open water and ideal for the waggler. Found myself between Bomber and Ron.

Sep up a 7 inch bodied Drake waggler on 3lb Maxima reel line for the Drennan 12 foot Carp rod. A 4 x16 Winter Titan to fish as two barrels for Silvers, where the depth was 9 foot - cripes and a Roob to fish the LH side margin at top-set plus one barrel.

Fed a ball of GB with a few Pinkies in and started to feed the waggler line, which proved difficult to be accurate due to the bloody wind. The LR's either fell short or nearly landing on the far bank! Started on single DR to see if the Silvers would feed. After 30 minutes and no bites during which time Lee was bagging in the "not the place to be in winter" corner peg. With no bites this line was abandoned, I just felt the peg was too deep for them especially as the water temperature was low. So on to the waggler with double LR's whilst I loose fed micro into the LH margin. The presentation on the waggler was spot on and once I got either the waggler or the feed close to each other I could catch a small Carp or F1. However, after two or three fish they would disappear. Tried the margin with 6 mm expander hook bait and had a Carp first try, followed by tiny indications which I thought was Silvers, so tried a 4 mm expander - not a touch then a single LR - not a touch. Strange could only get these indications on the 6 mm which to be fair was more like an 8 mm. Had one more before back on the waggler. I had the expected run of two/three Carp before it died, so tried to force it by increasing the feed but only managed to feed the the whole peg, it didn't help! By swapping between the waggler and margin line I picked off a few more, but felt if I had my swap timing better, spending less time on the waggler I might have had a few more.

The few Silvers I had on the waggler weighed 2lb 7oz and my small Carp 20lb 10oz for second on Lake pick up with 23lb 1oz.

As expected Lee Waller with his flying start (pictured with the pool silvers winner) won the lake with 29lb 6oz. Lee caught on pellet down his end bank margin at various lengths.

Bela Bakos won Shipp's canal (pictured with the lakes silver winner) with 41lb 1oz from peg 11. Bela caught in various places over to islands at 16 meters using pellet over pellet. Pus the match win. Well done matey.

The Silvers was won by Steve Rogers with 5lb 1oz from peg 9. Steve caught on Pinkie over loose fed pinkie catching only whilst the bait was falling.

Finally: Definitely an advantage limiting these matches to five hours, as it's back to the pub car park with the usual suspects.

Result:

Taylors Pool:

1. Lee Waller 29-06-0 peg 24

2. Mike Nicholls 23-01-0 peg 21

Silvers: Bill Ferris 5-04-0 peg 18

Shipp's Canal:

1. Bela Bakos 41-01-0 peg 11

2. Martin McMahon 36-10-0 peg 4

Silvers: Steve Rogers 5-01-0 peg 9

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: