Monday 17 May 2021

Sunday 16/05/2021 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

I have been meaning to get back to Ivy House for some time. The last time I went was February 2019, just after Heron was opened and shared a section win with Alan Oram. So booked in to the Old Match Lake with Glenn Bailey, Tim Ford and Kev Winstone. A nostalgic 50 minute drive up and as always a stop and quick look at the Avon on Christian Malford road bridge.

Drew myself peg 8 and was told I was at the wrong end of the Lake. Got to the peg where it was apparent this might be true as I had plenty of room where the other end all the pegs were in. Found myself opposite Two Pots Bailey.

Once again the wind was blowing in at me at 45 degrees and with heavy showers forecast I was in for another cold day. However, it wasn't too bad - brolly up, brolly down, brolly up...

I really fancied the waggler and maggot so that was erected first. The wind was pulling it off the island, but fishable providing I could feed it? I was told it a good Silvers peg - Umm. With the Carp at the other end. So would initially target them with the usual rig and expander over the fisheries micro. I also set up a 4x12 Roob for maggot in the margin. Finally, the Ronnie rig in case they show up which at the moment was unlikely. Although I had paste with me I put it on the back burner.

Firstly, I tested how far I could feed the LR's and was disappointed that due to the wind could only reach half way to the island - bugger. As it was to prove the waggler would have been the way to go even though I would have fished off the island. Very big mistake leaving the waggler in the roost for the rest of the day. I started at top-set and three barrels with 4 mm expander over kindered micro whilst loose feeding the RH side margin with LR's. After 10 minutes I had four Skimmers in four put-ins and was expecting a good day. All the Silvers were slime free so probably been spawning. I then had a 4 oz Carp and from then on struggled with the expander. Meanwhile Two Post was catching well over to the island and was later to give us all a good pasteing. I decided to feed some GB laced with Pinkie on the Ronnie rig line and with single DR on the hook had a few small but nice to see small Skimmers. I then hooked a large Carp which snagged me in the edge. I managed to get a small branch out and thought I'd cleared it. I then lost two more big Carp in the same area with the rig being trashed I got the weed cutter out and managed to get a tree branch out - pictured. Thankfully that did it, no more lost fish. I could see Ryan Shipp catching Skimmers so was out of the running, so had a go on the Roob with maggot in the margin and landed my second decent Carp. However, if the Carp didn't follow the hook bait down meant no bites so had to work it. So picked up the Ronnie rig which would would be slower falling and had five more decent Carp - breaking on a sixth. Although I didn't pick up the waggler the Ronnie rig proved my feelings that it would have worked.

My few Silvers weighed 12lb 8oz and my seven Carp 42 lb 8oz for a nowhere total of 55lb - but a days fishing, but should have tried the waggler.

The match was won by Glenn Bailey  (pictured right) with 95lb 10 oz from peg 10. Paste fished at 10 metres did the damage.

The Silvers as expected was won by Ryan Shipp (pictured) with 35lb 4oz from peg 16. Ryan caught short on maggot hook bait over loose fed maggot and also caught on the drop or following downers. It the was a silvers fish off with his uncle Des on this sort of venue my money would be on Ryan.

Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 95-10-0 peg 10

2. Mark Poppleton 87-0-0 peg 18

Silvers:

1. Ryan Shipp 35-04-0 peg 16

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: