Friday 31 January 2020

Thursday 30/01/2020 - Tony Rixons Silver Pole Only - Plantation - Main Lake

Back to Plantation Fishery with Glenn Bailey where we were promised a rain and wind free day - that didn't happen. First stop was the Bridge Inn for breakfast - very good including the sausages.

I had a quick look at the Lake and as always think if only the infrastructure was of a reasonable standard what an excellent venue this would be. However, we're here to catch Silvers which there are an abundant whether it be Roach or Skimmers.

Into the draw net and out comes peg 14 which is permanent peg  8 which is a popular peg for the Carp anglers. Arriving at the peg it's noticeable that some recent work has been done to the peg, mostly to suit Carp anglers as the peg is back from the water so I had to set up in front to get the keep net in. However, once in it was fine especially as I was close to the water. For company I had Caster Blaster - Dave Willmott on my right and on my left Canophile Glenn Bailey. But the only anglers I could keep an eye on was Tony Rixon - opposite and Kevin Winston on the top point.

Two Rigs - Ronnie and a 4x12 to fish top-set plus four and three barrels. The rig comprised Preston 5 slip elastic, 0.16 GLine main line, shotted with 7 no 11's ZLT's in a logarithmic pattern plus one no 11 back shot 10 mm above the float and a 6 inch 0.1 GLine hook length to a Tubertini no 18.


Approach was 2 mm and 4 mm expander over micro on the long line, GB and Pinkie with one section off and the Ronnie rig but with maggot over GB this time as caster isn't working close in at the moment and this is where I started with single LR on the hook and had a small Ronnie first try followed by a 4 oz one which fell on to my lap but because I was close to the water it went back in. Next was a 6 oz Skimmer which I started to swing but changed my mind and whilst fiddling with the landing net it came off - good start then! Couldn't get another bite so refed and went long with 4 mm expander. I could see Skimmers dimping so was optimistic, but I wasn't getting any bites after 15 minutes I had a 2 lb Skimmer but it was slow. I stayed with it adding another 2 lb Skimmers and a couple of 1 lb before I hooked my first Carp. I wasn't sure whether it was the Micro that wasn't working or lack of fish due to Carp. So Opened a new line at the same distance to the right again with micro and 4 mm expander. Again very slow so switched to 2 mm expander and had a few small Ronnie's. The wind had been off my back so was holding back over the feed with more pole behind, the wind then picked up and switched around 180 degrees now having to hold the pole forward. The wind put the dreaded shimmer on the water and couldn't see the float. Long line abandoned switching to the top three line with single maggot over GB and Pinkie, again holding the pole forward. I started to get some better Ronnie's and the odd good Skimmers having a good last two hours on this line. That was until the last 15 minutes I hooked my fourth Carp which broke the elastic. So I had to reset up which took 7 minutes. I went back out again but didn't have time to really finely shot the float . I had another Ronnie and a decent Skimmer which came off - bugger. I thought this might cost me today - just bad luck really.

I weighed 21 lb 11 oz for third overall. Would normally be happy with this but knew I was on a winning peg. Next time.


The match was won by Dave Willmott (pictured upper right with his mainly quality Roach catch) with 23 lb 3 oz. Dave caught at 13 metres spraying 2 pints of casters all over the place catching mainly on the drop using a light strung out float with caster hook bait.

The match was very close again with great weights all round especially considering its winter. I for one am appreciative to Tony Rixon who organises these matches and weighs everyone in - pictured right weighing the runner up. Thanks matey.

Finally congratulations to Darren Vowels for a near perfect 10 for his backward dive into the lake whilst packing up.

Result:

1. Dave Willmott 23-03-0 peg 7
2. Dave Wride 22-13-0 peg 5
3. Mike Nicholls 21-11-0 peg 8
4. Ronnie Hardiman 20-12-0 peg 32
5. Paul Barnfield 20-04-0 peg 28
6. Tony Rixon 20-0-0 peg 31

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: