Monday 27 January 2020

Sunday 26/01/2020 - Westerleigh Individual Winter League - Taylors Lake and Shipps Canal

Standing in again for the Westerleigh League. But first stop with Bela, Wetherspoons at Yate. Seems to be one of the more popular ones. Breakfast devoured and the draw done found me on peg 5 on Shipps Canal.

There's no doubt that plenty of hard work has gone into this venue and feel it will become very popular.

My peg was on the right hand side at the top end between two islands - pictured right. I could get close enough to the end of each island holding the tip of the butt of 11.5 metres. I didn't make it easier for myself by adding the 13 metre storage tube because of the Otter fence and the Hide - forgot the half butts I had in the bag then couldn't be arsed to get it out.. 

From my last visit there were plenty of small Crucians and a mix of other types of small Carp who's species is unknown. However, these do not count as Silvers - only fish without Carp tagged on their names - which is the way to go with no debate during the weigh ins.

For company I had neighbour Darren North on end peg 7 and Maggot Man Bill Ferris the venue Silvers expert opposite on peg 9. The Lakes have been roped off to deter the Cormorants and couldn't help noticing a lot of fish over the other side of the rope to my right and with no apparent way of temporarily moving it. What has been observed is the Comerants will land on the bank then hop in and out so no longer the complete deterrent. 

The wind was off my right shoulder so making presentation on the RH island very difficult, but had a decent depth of 30 inches. However, LH island would give perfect presentation as the wind would blow the rig up the slope. BUT the water was very deep close in here at 4 + feet.

I planned initially to for fish or Silvers so set up a 4x14 to fish at top-set plus two barrels to fish tight to the rope on my right. A 4x12 to fish the LH island and a 4x10 to fish the RH island.

Most of the matches have been won lately by dobbing bread, so I came armed with the necessaries. I'm sure this works but it's totally alien to my way of fishing - what no feeding! Oh, well best give it a try. So having fed the Silvers line with a knub of GB with Pinkie, so using the 4x10 dobbed bread for 5 minutes on the RH island the wind wasn't right for this. Over to the LH island for 5 minutes during which Bill caught a micro Ronnie. That's enough of the bread then. So over the GB with double Pinkie and a 1 oz Perch, then started to catch small Crucian - but not so small now. After a run of these mixed with a few small Ronnies I dribbled micro and LR's over on both Islands. Went over with double DR's to the RH island and foul hooked a decent Carp which came off. Out again and had a 2 lb Carp. Couldn't get another bite so refed and tried the other island and had a 1 lb Perch thought this would get me the Silvers on its own so decided to feed some big maggot and micro on the Silvers line and had a big Crucian about 1 lb - lovely fish. I then foul hooked a decent Carp which again came off. I decided to abandon the LH island and focus on the other. So by rotating the two lines - island and track I kept the odd Crucian and doubtfuls coming. But what was noticeable - it was catch one fish then refeed then go to the other line. Feeding appeared to be only worth the one fish. After another foul hooker - I'm blaming the wind for this one as the rig was blowing through hard. I did have a Carp near the end which was about 5 lb.

Darren North had been catching Carp regularly and with the other end of the Lake thought to be the best pegs I thought my only hope was a Silvers pick up. However, Shaun Putney had 1 lb 9 oz to my 1 lb 8 oz to pick up the Lake Silvers. So I'm thinking no coin today. My total weight came to 19 lb 10 oz which because the other end hadn't fished as expected got me second on the Lake and second overall.

Our Lake and the match was won Darren (pictured with his small net of Silvers that didn't quite get him to 40 lb) with 39 lb 13 oz from peg 7. Darren caught mostly out of the wind dobbing bread along the opposite island. Well done matey.

Taylors Lake was won by Johnny Clarke (pictured right with the match winner) with 18 lb 5 oz from peg 22. Johnny caught all small Carp averaging 8 oz using GB and Pinkie long on the pole.

A really good local venue especially in winter with very tight result.

The weather was bloody awful only allowing us to set up and pack up in the dry. I hate the wind.

It was back to the pub with almost everyone coming back which is great making it one of the best parts of the day - takes me back to the results of the winter leagues. The picture above is slightly out of focus for good reasons.

 Result:

1. Darren North 39-13-0 peg 7 Shipps
2. Mike Nicholls 19-10-0 peg 5 Shipps
3. Johnny Clarke 18-05-0 peg 22 Taylors

Silvers:

1. Lee Waller 4-09-0 peg 15 Taylors
2. Ron Hardiman 3-03-0 peg 16

Weigh Sheets:


No comments: