Monday 6 January 2020

Sunday 05/01/2020 - Westerleigh Individual Winter League - New Old Lake and Old New Canal

The start of a New Year.

Nothing planned this Sunday so managed to stand in for Mark Taylor in the Westerleigh Individual League which Bela is a great fan of - and not all because of the fishing. So a ride with Bela to the Wetherspoons in Yate for breakfast and the draw - all very civilised.

I was told I would be on the New Old Lake - duh.The other Lake was being described as the Old New Canal!! Come on Mark Taylor about time you christened your lovely Lakes with a proper fishing related name. My suggestion would be Shipps and Taylors.

Into the ice cream container and out comes peg 22 on Taylors. Bela had drawn peg 7 on Shipps. Bela said we had both drawn difficult pegs to win from. Most of the weights on Taylors have been from the pegs in front of the car park rather then the opposite pegs where I had drawn.

We arrived at the fishery and I was amazed how much work has been done - Only one island remaining - Otter fencing, but most of the changes were beneath. I was warned how deep it was but wasn't prepared for 10 foot. The Lake has been stocked with lots of Silvers which not unlike a lot of fishery haven't been feeding. Also loads of small Carp from 2 oz to 1 lb which have been feeding. 

Around anti-clockwise to my peg and nearly decapitated by the Cormorant deterrent rope - disadvantages of being short.  For company I had Steve Rodgers and Shaun Putney. I was pleased to find I was opposite the one remaining island so set up the waggler hoping for some Silvers, which I had set at 3 foot but was still over depth at 1 metres away from the island. The wind, being off my back was absolutely perfect for it. I then set up a 4x16 Winter Titan and after adding three feet to the top found the bottom of the shelf at top-set plus two - no need to go further I thought in this sort of depth. I noticed a bit of marginal dead weed to my left and thought there might some Perch and other silvers looking for some cover so set up a 4x14 Winter and at top-set it was 4 1/2 feet deep but sloping off. I fed both pole lines with a hard nugget of GB laced with Pinkie. I started on the waggler with LR's over loose fed LR's. I had a strange bite which only just managed to pull the float down which was a small Carp and the type of strange bites I got from theses all day. I then had a run of Rudd and Roach with the occasional small Carp. I had a nice first hour after which the Silvers dried up. I came in on the short line and had one micro Perch and a few small Carp to 6 oz. I think I overfed as it dried up all to soon. So went out long line and after a 5 second waiting whilst the bait got to the bottom I had another small Carp but then nothing so refed and had a few more bits on the waggler. I swapped between the waggler and the long line to the end picking off the odd small Skimmer on the pole and a rare Carp on the waggler.

With hardly any Silvers caught my 2 lb 7 oz of bits was enough to win the Lake Silvers and with my 10 lb  8 oz of small Carp put me third on the Lake with 12 lb 15 oz. For me in winter it's all about getting bites, so really enjoyed today.

The match was won by Tony Mears (pictured right) on Shipps Canal with 31 lb 9 oz from peg 3. Tony caught initially on dobbed bread just off the island in 30 inches of water. Tony later switched to maggot feed and hook bait to keep some big Carp to 14 lb coming. Well done matey.

Most on Shipps Canal caught on dobbed bread, whilst on Taylors the small fish all came to maggot/Pinkie.
Now the good bit, back to the pub for a right laugh and a pint or two - one of Bela's best part of the day even though we isolated him as he has man-flu before back to the Bar-Gar-Age. Bela did well from his peg with 20 lb of dobbed carp - feeding his usual nothing.

Result:


1. Tony Mears 31-09-0 peg S4
2. Ron Hardiman 21-07-0 peg S11
3. Bela Bakos 20-04-0 peg 7

Silvers:

1. Lee Waller 3-12-0 peg S9
2.Mike Nicholls 2-07-0 peg T22

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: