Thursday 2 January 2020

Review of 2019

This years review looks back at some of my memorable matches:


Have to start with the winter matches run by Dave Gillard at Hunstrete, entitled "Silvers Series". Dave ran two knockouts - the greats and the also rans - fished over six matches with five peg sections payouts, where the highest Silver weight won the section and the highest weight came second - both picking up - no overall payouts. So the section could be won with say 1 lb of Silvers and the second in section could have say 100 lb of Carp. This puzzled a few, including Enigma. However, once I got my head round it I thought it a good system as it spread the payouts further than usual. I understand that it will be the same this year. We've had some right laughs back at the pub with the usual suspects


Shiplate Farm was especially enjoyable this year for both the Silvers fishing and Carp. Great Roach and Skimmers fishing on the Main Lake along with some munter Carp. I drew peg 15 one match, starting off fishing for Silvers but ended up being caught by some huge Carp seven for 90 lb with three over 20 lb. Glenn Bailey and me entered the paris match fished over Hawthornes and Westpool. Glenn rang me halfway through and we were both struggling on 30 lb each. Getting back to the Gamekeeper's Lodge we both ended up with near same weights of 112 lb and 113 lb which was enough for us to win the day. A great fishery run by The Gamekeeper and his Goldilocks.


Due to the pain in driving long distance these days I fished a local venue Windmill Fishery. I have this ability of drawing golden pegs here and coming second. However, this year I actually managed to win one from the fancied peg 14 with 99 lb 14 oz!! 2019 also seen the Fishery Management change hands and is now run by Brad Nelson - he's the one on the right.

Another fishery to change hands in 2019 was Bitterwell Lake with Paul Isaacs taking over in the autumn. I think all the local match anglers were pleased with the news that we have a very proficient match anglers now in charge. I have just started to fish the Lake again in the Tuesday's Silvers matches run by Ken Morgan and like Windmill is only five miles from home.


Have to mention our Viaducters holiday back in June where we had ten of us this time. Next year it has grown to twelve. I'm wondering how we are going to fit in the Somerton Indian - alfresco? We all caught fish and all ten of us picked up at sometime during the week. During the week I had my biggest Silvers weight of the year 40 lb 13 oz from peg 99 in the Viaduct Thursday costcutter. However, we don't seem to be able to keep Geoff Francis out of the water, don't think Chris Ollis even noticed.


It was great to see the Angling Trust start a Silvers mania match. I entered the Viaduct round and had a reasonable days fishing on peg 129 coming second in the section to match winner Stu White on peg 130. It was especially good to see that all the Viaduct qualifiers were all from the South West. I wouldn't bet against any of them in the final especially "draw bag" White.

I qualified for the Viaduct all winners Silvers final and was very disappointed to find myself on Spring Lake peg 20. Some anglers would have not gone to the peg but I am the eternal optimist. It was good to see Bela in the frame - back for fish and chip supper then.

The Viaduct Silvers league was a disaster for me. It was a question of bad draws and bad angling or a bit of both - roll on next year when I can hopefully put things right.

Three memorable matches at Todber. The first was to be my biggest weight of the year with 235 lb and just beating Bela's 221 lb for just a section pickup! I was on the weigh board but couldn't hold the pencil due to cramp in my hands after all the Carp slaying. 

The second was John Candy's birthday bash where the weight to qualify for the King of the Manor Silvers final was set at 12 lb. I found this interesting so entered drawing Ash peg 62 and thought I would count the weight backwards which I thoroughly cocked up. Somehow starting to count back from 12 oz!! Anyway all turned out OK weighing 15 lb 4 oz.

The third match was during the Todber 3 Dayer travelling and staying with the McMahons and Martin Rayet. Come day three I drew peg 15 on White Post and had a lovely days fishing catching Carassio's and small Carp short on my favourite soft pellet for 74 lb and a Lake win which helped me win the over 65's. But what was more pleasing was travelling partner Joe McMahon won the festival overall picking up £2,300 on his way - great lad.

Finally I have to mention the Bathampton Coffin Dodgers at Hunstrete. I had another great series with some great guys. Memorial because mainly due to me drawing peg 30 three times and peg 29 three times meaning I spent a continuous three months on the same pegs, plus I can include pegs 31 and 28 in this year. That said I did pick up every time - but nice to see some different scenery. Not forgetting Tony Rixon's Bramble Gate - and the biting off anglers feeders - LOL. We often say the best part of the day is back at the pub - may it continue. Wishing all the Dodgers pain free joints for 2020.

My wish for 2020 is for all the Fisheries to have have a Cormorant free year - Silver stocks are suffering badly.

Some facts and figures from 2019:



No comments: