Tuesday 31 December 2019

Tuesday 31/12/2019 - Bitterwell Silvers Costcutter Open

With Christmas now over so was naturally now looking forward to getting out fishing even though the wrist wasn't completely healed. Couldn't help noticing that the weather has been OK during my short layoff. So with the weather promising to be dry I was off to the Tuesday Bitterwell Silvers match.

A good few other anglers had was also in need of a day out as we had 17 fishing and with three pleasure anglers the Lake would be nearing full.

I was joined by matey Chris Ollis and ended up drawing next to each other, with me on peg 6 and Chris on peg 8 - both reasonable pegs, but had the cold light wind in our faces.

I was hoping I could get the small Ronnie's in close enough for the 4 metre whip to save the left hand wrist. So set that up first, the trial presentation was acceptable, which was about top-set plus two and a bit. The other rig was a 4x12 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus four barrels, which just kept the butt out on the road behind. Both lines would be fished the same - GB and Pinkie.

I fed both lines with a nugget of GB with just a few Pinkies. I started on the whip with double Pinkie but didn't get a bite, so went long with Pinkie. I had a small Ronnie first try and by topping up regularly with a neat nugget of GB I kept a few Ronnie's coming with the odd 4 and 6 oz Skimmer. I did have a some Ronnie's on the whip which I had been topping up, but it was a question of only catch two before it died. The upshot was the long line produced the most I did lose a few ounces swing fish as it was still painful to used the landing net.

My few Silvers weighed in at 5 lb 3 oz for joint second on the day with Enigma - pictured below. I must say it is nice to have a break lunch time for a snack and cuppa kindly provided by Paul Isaacs.

The  match was won by Jason (pictured upper right) with 6 lb 13 oz from peg 12. Jason fed two lines, one at 14.5 metres and the other at 8 metres each with three balls of GB laced with maggot at the start. Jason caught small Skimmers mostly from his shorter line on double DR's and Pinkie.

Result:

1. Jason 6-13-0 peg 12
2. Mike Nicholls 5-03-0 peg 6
2. Steve Dawson 5-03-0 peg 31
4. Gary 5-01-0 peg 25

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: