Monday 3 February 2020

Sunday 02/02/2020 - Bitterwell Silvers Only Open

Was expecting a good turn out for this one with originally 17 booked in. However, probably due to the weather 8 booked out, so reduced to a knock up of 9 brave souls.

Nice touch from Paul providing us a cuppa before the draw. Into the the Tesco plastic bag and out comes a plastic fork with 6 on it! Another first for me. Happy with this as I would have the wind off my back on the roadside - until I found out it had been re-pegged with corresponding forks, which put me on permanent peg 14. So wind blasting left to right.

For company I had Paul on end peg 12 to my left and Robin Guy who I haven't
seen for a while, due to an illness, which is now all sorted, so good to see him back put fishing.

I set up a light feeder and a 4x14 to fish at top-set plus three and four barrels. Shotting up I was surprised the tow was going with the wind which was opposite to the last time I was on this bank with the wind apparently in the same direction. This confused me somewhat as to where the feed would end up. I fed the three barrel line with GB and Pinkie but had a couple of casts on the feeder over the four barrel line which produced quick on the drop bites from very small Ronnie's - interestingly there was no sign of tow on the feeder? So tried the Pole and had a little run of small Skimmers and Ronnie's - nothing bigger than 2 oz. I then hooked a bigger Skimmer of about 1 lb which was fouled and came off. I re-fed with a larger ball of GB laced with Pinkies and tried the feeder again, only to catch a couple of 1 oz Perch. Back on the Pole and had another run of small fish before I fouled hooked another better Skimmer followed by another two before it dried up. More feeding really killed the peg. That said I was convinced that there were better Skimmers over the feed but sensibly they wouldn't take the poorly presented hook bait due to the wind and tow - hence the foul hooking due to towing into them. That was it, I struggled on between the pole at the two distances and feeder catching next to nothing. As I was well behind I toyed with setting up a long waggler on the pole and drag it through well over depth - but couldn't be bothered, but is something I must try next time I am confronted with similar conditions.

I weighed 2 lb 12 for last but one. All my fault really over fed it with too many particles (Pinkies) in a very tight match with those with space filling the top three places. 


The match was won by Geoff Francis (pictured upper right with a nice net of mixed Silvers) with 7 lb 6 oz from end peg 4. Geoff got the feeding spot on today fishing 11.5 metres over two lines. One out in front with single white maggot over golf ball size of GB with some loose LR's and the other line again at 11.5 metres swung round to his left at 10 o'clock fishing maggot over Micro and loose maggot. Geoff landed an equal share from each line. Well done matey got it spot on.

Geoff had the wind off his back and told me his peg was tripping hard from left to right which meant the whole Lake was tripping anti-clockwise with the wind - interesting the hydraulics of the various Lake shapes.

Back to The Bells for a pint with Geoff and Matt.

Result:

1. Geoff Francis 7-06-0 peg 4
2. Paul Isaacs 7-01-0 peg 12
3. Tony Ponting 6-08-0 peg 18

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: