Friday 14 February 2020

Thursday 13/02/2020 - Tony Rixon's Silvers Only Open - Plantation - Main Lake

The weather soothsayers predicted high winds, rain and getting colder. However, I wore my magic heated body warmer. Everytime I wear it the weather completely changes leaving me sweating. It worked again today, dry with a moderate breeze and definitely not cold.

Sixteen fishing today. So into the landing net and out comes peg 11 permanent peg 19 which is on the end of the top spit. Happy with this as last time I drew it I framed. Having waded through the mud I arrived at the peg to see Paul Faiers walking towards my peg, leaving me thinking one of us was on the wrong peg. It transpired that Tony had moved the pegs around putting Paul on permanent peg 18. Paul and I weren't happy with this as we were at 90 degrees to each other so would be pole fencing. We spent some time working out our rollers to reduce the amount of pole clashing. Thankfully we were both right handed.

Tony came round to see us mainly to take the piss and pointing out how many Carp were in my peg.

I decided on three lines short with the Ronnie rig, top-set plus four to my left at 10 o'clock and another at top-set plus five to my right at 2 o'clock both with 4x12 rigs. However, there was enough depth difference to set up two identical rigs albeit set at differing depths.

I fed the Ronnie line with a nube of GB and Pinkie feeding a few LR's over the top. I fed the same on the left hand line and micro on the right. I could see Carp blowing on both GB lines, so started on the 4 mm expander over the micro and first try had a 1 lb Skimmer - going to have a good day then? next put in a foul hooked Carp which wasn't on for long. I couldn't get another bite from a Silver over this line except for some small Ronnies. Next I tried the Ronnie rig and I think because is was so shallow close in didn't have a bite. Meanwhile Paul was catching 1 lb Skimmers regularly. So out on the GB line and had a Carp first try - bugger already thinking it was going to be a long day. As the right hand line had more wind cover I decide to switch the micro line to GB and Pinkie. Still more Carp but did have two decent Skimmers. The upshot was for five hours in between catching small Ronnies I landed five Carp, broke on four and pulled out of three foul hookers. Come the last hour I decided to target the Ronnie's to try and get my Silvers to a face saving double figures. Using the same line with a lot of caster in the nubes of GB and interestingly I didn't have another Carp adding some better Ronnies and a couple more Skimmers. Come the end I was catching quite well and from wishing the match would end half time to now not wanting it to end!

My Silvers weighed 16 lb 8 oz so content with this considering the number of Carp in the peg. There's no doubt that the wind cover is very important on this fishery.

The match was won by Mark Broomsgrove (pictured right with runner up Paul Faiers) with 28 lb 12 oz of mainly Skimmers from peg 5. Mark caught on maggot over micro at 13 metres.

What a fishery, eight 20 lb weights with loads of close back up weights. Can't wait until the next one.

Note to the organiser peg 17 although at 90 degrees to 19 would allow each angler to un-ship without hindrance.

Result:

1. Mark Bromsgrove 28-12-0 peg 5
2. Paul Faiers 26-0-0 peg 18
3. Ryan Jordan 24-12-0 peg 3
4. Paul Barnfield 23-12-0 peg 31
5. Martin McMahon 22-08-0 peg 11

Weigh Sheet:




No comments: