Friday 22 November 2019

Thursday 21/11/2019 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Short Walks - Bridge Pool

Hungry Horace's for Geoff and me - lovely breakfast. Arriving at the fishery I was surprised how cold it was. The day to try my heated jacket I think. We had a walk around and saw just one Ronnie being chased by a predator. A few years back when BAA said they would remove the Carp and take out the small Silvers and start adding Siltex every year many knowledgeable anglers said the water would go gin clear and the Silvers fish would be hard to catch especiacially in winter when the Comerants arrive. Well that day had arrived. The Lake was like tap water and as it was to prove the Silver fish were doing their best not to give their presence away to the predators.

Last in the draw bag and out comes peg 29 - Umm - So my last six match draws have gone 30,30, 31,30 29 and 29! Hoping next match to have a change of scenery.

The cold wind would be a bitch but was slightly off my right shoulder so I set up the waggler to fish to the end of the island, a 4x16 to fish at 10 metres in 8 foot of water, a 4x14 to fish short top-set plus one, the Ronnies rig and a 0.3 g to fish along the RH side in 3 foot of water for Carp. I wouldn't usually set this much up but guessing it would be hard  - a new line and rig equals renewed optimism and hopefully these rigs would see me through the expected five hours of boredom.

The upshot was as anticipated I didn't have a bite on anything other than the long line where I had fed GB laced with Pinkie, with Pinkie on the hook. I had six bites - 2 Skimmers, two Ronnies, one Perch and a lucky 7 lb Common Carp. During the last 45 minutes my concentration was being held by liners from another Carp, plenty of striking but unfortunately no contact.

I weighed 9 lb 1 oz which got me fourth and last in the money. Plus my heated jacket did its job - heated boots next I think.

The match was won by Dave Gillard (pictured right with the Silvers winner - I think Wayne's feet were off the ground) with 19 lb 6 oz from peg 14. Dave caught mainly F1's fishing a method feeder over to the island with micro feed and double maggot on the hook.

The Silvers was won by Wayne Storry with 8 lb 3 oz from peg 8, Wayne caught seven Skimmers on conventional GB feeder tactics with maggot hook baits.

It was back to the pub with the usual suspects where it was politics word association - every word spoken, Ray Bazeley would use it to talk about how wonderful the Labour party are.

Result:

1. Dave Gillard 19-06-0 peg 14
2. Paul Haines 17-02-0 peg 17
3. John Smith 10-08-0 peg 28
4. Mike Nicholls 9-01-0 peg 29

Silvers:

1. Wayne Storry 8-03-0 peg 8
2. Tony Rixon 7-06-0 peg 1
3. Gary Bowden 6-09-0 peg 4
4. Steve Dawson 6-01-0 peg 6

Weigh Sheets:

















No comments: