Monday 4 November 2019

Sunday - 03/11/2019 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Three - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Bela was out on the lash last night so sensibly didn't drive and went with neighbour Ron Hardiman. I had another lift from Yorkie. During our discussions it was clear he didn't know there was a general election looming - non voter then. We stopped at Lillypool cafe for breakfast and rained all the way but stopped on our arrival at the fishery in plenty of time for the earlier 09:00 draw.

I was told to mention I pushed in the queue - OK John - bloody pensioners. In to the draw Coffee tin and out comes the right Lake but the wrong peg - 97 Carey is where I was once again face the wind. I walked to the peg with Gabe who thought he was next to me on peg 98 and was already moaning about the draw being the wrong end of the section. His face soon turned to delight when Steve Long told him he was actually on peg 86 - read the ticket upside down - and off he ran. I got my ticket out and wondered if I could blag peg 79! Great company at this end of the section filled with Thursday regulars. Peg 98 was actually occupied by Martin Tizard. Martin had drawn my peg on the Thursday weighing 16 lb of small Ronnies all caught short and catching very little long. The other side on peg 96 was Kev Newman who was in the next section - I have to say he fished a tidy match catching on single caster long on the pole. Behind me was the affable Paul Faiers who was on Lodge peg of doom 66 could add another 6 to this one. The trouble we these pegs they are very close that to fish further than 10 metres would mean unshipping, which I'm not keen on - so 10 metres max it would be. Paul had a similar problem and halfway through I suddenly started to hit something casting the Ronnie rig - losing the caster. I had a look up only to hit my head on Paul's Butt ...section - lol.

The 10 metre line was to be fished with a heavier float than normal a 4x14 and with the float going with the wind I put 6 inches on the bottom. I had a chat with Paul and help make my mind up to fish the GB feeder - to Nick Ewers amusement.  The only other rig was my banker Ronnie rig. I thought about setting up the waggler too but due to the nasty wind didn't bother and which I was to regret as the wind dropped off mid-match. 

I fed the long line with three balls of GB laced right up with DR's and Pinkies. Whilst this settled I stated on the Ronnie rig with single caster over hand fed caster and started to catch 1 - 2 oz Ronnies regularly. The wind was being a right nuisance but the Ronnies didn't seem to worry about the poor presentation. However, I found it difficult keeping them feeding - I don't know why they seem to shy away from too much feed. In between I kept trying the long line which didn't produce much but was getting plenty of indications from Motherless Minnows. I had a few chucks on the Feeder whilst I had a cuppa with various baits which produced one Ronnie. Paul thought I didn't give it enough time - probably right. I stayed the rest of the match on the Ronnie rig catching one decent Perch that actually stayed on this time and in the last 10 minutes some small Skimmers arrived. Suddenly I didn't want the match to end - Umm just started to rain - bugger.

The upshot was I weighed 11 lb 14 oz for last but one in the section - about right. I have a theory about pegs 98 and 97 - During the spring and summer the newish aerator on the spit creates a strong flow across the lake into these pegs which the Silver fish love making these pegs great pegs during this time. Of course there is a tendency for this flow to disperse the silt making a deeper channel and once the aerator is switched off the fish tend to move onto shallower water such as pegs in the 100's.

The match was won by Paul Elmes (pictured right) with 31 lb 4 oz from Lodge peg 70. Paul caught quality Skimmers on the waggler using corn hook bait over loose fed corn. Paul fed just the one tin through. Well done matey.

Result

1. Paul Elmes 31-04-0 peg 70
2. Martin Rayet 27-04-0 peg 112
3. Gabe 27-01-0 peg 86 - Umm
4. Gordon Cannings 25-10-0 peg 77
4. Richard Ahern 25-10-0 peg 81
6. Leon Hubbard 23-15-0 peg 61

Weigh Sheets:



































No comments: