Monday 18 November 2019

16/11/2019 - Angling Trust - SilverFish 2019 - Viaduct - Campbell, Carey and Spring Lakes

When Fish o Mania  first started I fished the first one on the river and won my section. The next time, I fished the K&A canal and again won my section by default and was only two pegs from a peg of my choice and a qualifier. My next match was at Viaduct peg 74 - packed in early next and my last ever Fish o match again at Viaduct and peg 1 - next to Tommy Pickering - another early bath, haven't bothered since. However, when I heard of the equivalent with Silver fish I thought at least I should give the first one a go. So choose the local venue Viaduct fishery. The only difference in qualification was that section of 15 winners would go through instead of overall winners.

Really looking forward to it BUT the night before I felt really rough and didn't sleep all night. I got up early and took some painkillers and was thinking of calling Bela to cry off. But had a change, thinking I would go and walk around, then second thought I would go and have a draw and fish if I thought I had a chance of qualifying. So after trying to eat a McD breakfast Bacon thingy we arrived at the fishery in plenty of time for 0:800 draw. Last but three into the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 129. Happy with that as it's the right end of Campbell any higher up and it would been a walking and sleeping day. Bela drew well too, peg 96 on Carey.

For company I had matey Stu White on peg 130 - Not the Silvers angler you would choose to have next to you at present in this match - but nevertheless glad to next to him and have a watch on how its done. I had a walk up the section to see Trigger on end peg 124 who was climbing trees to make an ad hoc pole roller. Unfortunately I didn't get the picture of him falling down- pictured right.

I knew I would be out gunned on the pole so choose the waggler as first choice.  I did set up two other rigs - the Ronnie and a 4x12 to fish as far as the Otter fence allowed. I fed the long line with four balls of GB laced with caster but started on the waggler with double DR's over loose fed caster. It wasn't long before there was enough indications to keep me interested. The upshot was I had a decent day catching three big Perch, two Bream and some smaller Skimmers about 10 oz. I did try the long line and had some 4 oz Skimmers, which soon dried up. The last hour was hard on the waggler catching mainly Carp. During this time Stu started to catch big Skimmers which must have moved in from the aerator.

All my fish were quality even the one 12 oz Roach and weighed a total of 15 lb 12 oz for second in the section. It was also good to hear that Bela was also second in his section so a double bubble van.

The match was won by Stu White next to me (pictured right with his catch) on peg 130 with 36 lb. Stu fished 14.5 metres into the shade of the tree to his left. Stu started by feeding four balls of GB laced with casters and only topped up through his kinder pot with caster. Stu initially caught on maggot but later switched to caster which produced bigger Skimmers, having a productive last hour. Well done matey nice to watch.

Well done to all four qualifiers and all locals. I am sure they all will do well in the final and it won't surprise me to see one win it on the right peg.


Bela and I stopped for a chip supper, but I didn't enjoy it as I was still suffering.

Result:




















Weigh Sheets:

























No comments: