Friday 8 November 2019

Thursday 07/11/2019 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Short Walks - Bridge Pool

Had a walk around the Lake with Tony Rixon and was hoping to fish any peg other than 29,30 or 31 where I have spent the last 4 matches. However, my choice would have been 24.

Last but one into the draw bag and oh noooo peg 29! For company I had Chris Ollis on peg 28 and two pegs away organiser Ken Morgan on peg 31. The water was extremely clear due to a lot of rain water working with the Siltex. Peg 29 is facing open water and with the wind once again hacking into me at 11 o'clock I decided to set up a small GB feeder. Two other rigs - a 4x16 to fish at 10 metres and a 0.3 gram (taking more than this more like 0.5 gram) to fish down the inside margin at top-set plus one with maggot for Carp later in the match. 

I had Just set up ready to start when there was two very loud bangs which made me jump out of my skin. Apparently Bathampton AA has installed some sort of Bird scarer working on a timer. It regularly fired throughout the match. I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been a cardiac arrest by one of the Dodgers!

Started on the long line with 4 mm expander over a smidgen of micro and had a bite first put in which was missed. In again and found the culprit to be a small F1. I followed this with a 6 oz Skimmer then a Ronnie - that was. So tried double maggot and started to catch Ronnie's and small Perch. I was fishing far too long to build a weight with these small fish. So I had a cast with the feeder with dry GB and double DR's which got ragged both times I cast it by Ronnie's. So Ronnie's it would be then, so set up the Ronnie rig and fished it with single DR over GB and started to catch slightly better Ronnie's and Perch with the odd small Skimmer. At least they were staying on the hook. I did have three better Skimmers and a 12 oz Perch and another F1. The peg seemed to fade and soon found out why when I hooked 7 lb Common Carp which I finally wore down to net it. I refed the line and tried the Carp rig with triple maggot and soon was playing another decent Carp I had played it for a good few minutes before I pulled out of it. Refed with DR's and went back on the Ronnie rig adding a few more Ronnie's when I hooked another Carp which again I played to a stand still before being able to net it. Refed and tried the Carp line again and was again soon playing another decent Carp and "Déjà Vu" another lost Carp. Refed the Carp line and back on the Ronnie rig and had a few more Ronnies but it was really slow then hooked yet another Carp which broke the line above the float - bugger. I was convinced they were all hooked in the mouth but now not that sure. Spent the last few minute over the Carp line. By the end I was really cold mainly due to the icy wind - winter is now with us.


My Silvers weighed 10 lb 14 oz for joint first in the Silvers with Paul Clayton (us pictured above) on peg 8 and my Carp weighed 17 lb 8 oz for third overall weight of 28 lb 6 oz. So both payouts covered.

The match was won by John Smith (pictured right celebrating his win with a pint) with 48 lb 10 oz from his favourite peg 10. John caught late on from his RH margin using initially corn then switched to four maggots.

Result:

1. John Smith 48-10-0 peg 10
2. Tony Rixon 37-01-0 peg 26
3. Mike Nicholls 28-06-0 peg 29

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 10-14-0 peg 29
1. Paul Clayton 10-14-0 peg 8
3. Steve Dawson 10-05-0 peg 14

Weigh Sheets:
















No comments: