Monday 11 November 2019

Sunday 10/11/2019 - Hillview Open - Moorhen, Heron and Canal Three.

When Joe McMahon offered me a lift to Hillview, I thought yes why not haven't been there for a long while plus the stupid weight season is over. Martin Rayet was supposed to come but chose to work.

Today was the first opportunity try out my new acquisition - a heated body warmer. However, as it turned out with it adding an extra layer it was hot enough with no need to turn it on. Perhaps next week. 

Met up with a few friends I haven't seen for a while. Nice to see Keith Hill in the kitchen taking the usual piss. With it now winter I was surprised to see Terry King there. This man is the epitome of top-kit fishing, worth a watch if you get the chance I have and had a few right bashing from him - always a pleasure. Bob Black also now fishing here regularly. Went up to Moorhen Lake where a crowd had gathered to watch a Cormorant feeding. Apparently it had injured its wing and couldn't fly and was hopping between all the Lakes and Canals. For me and a couple others it was to prove to partly spoil the day.

I was disappointed to hear that both  Lakes were in, however, with 30 fishing the Third Canal would be brought into action which I was hoping to draw. Out come Kingey with a smile on his face  with peg 74. Last but two into the woolly hat and out comes peg 6 Moorhen causeway which was to prove crowded. I forgot how close the pegs are, peg 5 was about 15 foot but peg 7 was empty but I would have to un-ship every two sections and couldn't be arsed with that.

The weather was set fine with bright spells and with little to no wind I set up the waggler to fish up and down with LR's. Chose main attack at top-set plus one in 5 foot of water with 4 mm expander's over micro. The only other rig was a 4x10 to fish out from the margin in 3 foot of margin water for later with LR's.

Started on the expander and could see there were fish straight on to the kindered micro missing a first liner then I had my first F1. It then all went tits up as I started his foul hook fish it was obvious the fish were only interested in eating falling bait. So after getting right cheesed off of foul hookers I had a go on the waggler and found it similar but found it I left the feeding I could pick off the occasional Silver fish. I did have one decent Carp on it. The penny dropped dump potting was the order of the day so picked up the marginal rig and heavy fed LR's then fished it out which sort of worked catching a 10 lb Mirror and a few smaller ones, but no F1's I started to enjoy it when the Cormorant arrived in my peg. It came into where I was fishing and although I hadn't caught any Silvers there was suddenly loads trying to get out of the Lake! I was surprised I didn't hook it, if anyone could it would be Trigger - and he did but came off. It came in twice to my margin killing it for about 45 minutes each time.


My few Carp weighed 46 lb 8 oz. However, the peg was worth twice this even with the Cormorant issues. You really need to be in touch with a fishery to understand the feeding patterns - unfortunately I found out too late today and I'm sure the sea bird will have moved on by now. I need to get up there more often because I do enjoy it in the winter months. It looks as if the only baits needed here at the moment is LR's and Micro - simples - just need to work out the feeding.

The match was won by Terry King (pictured right) with 154 lb from Canal peg 74. Terry caught on what else - his top-kit. Terry fished both sides just out from the edge in the deeper water fishing LR's over LR's. Terry fed about 1 1/2 pints throughout. Certainly the King of top-kit fishing.

Results show that the Canal section was the place to be today.

Result:

1. Terry King 154-0-0 peg 74
2. Craig Edmonds 145-0-0 peg 18
3. Carl Midford 136-0-0 peg 70
4. Huggy 124-0-0 peg 80
5. Matty 117-0-0 peg 25
6. Bob Black 110-0-0 peg 72

Weigh Sheets:





















3 comments:

Unknown said...

T.King...the old master,surprised he was there,normally hibernates this time of year...

Ben said...

Hello,

You really love your fishing as there's quite a few regular posts on here!

Do you recommend this braid?

https://bennysstore.com/collections/fishing/products/seaknight-triposeidon-300m-500m-1000m-braided-fishing-line

Just wanted some opinions as it seems very popular at the moment.

Regards

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Braid is normally banned on fisheries I use. Thanks.