Sunday 30 October 2011

Sunday 30/10/2011 - Carps AC Silvers League - Round Four - Viaduct Fishery - Carey and Spring Lakes

I was surprised this morning how warm it was especially at 06:00, plus it was predicted it stayed dry all day and it did.
I reviewed the progress of the two lodges being built adjacent to Middle Lake. It’s amazing how quick these buildings are assembled from just a base two weeks ago to … see photo right.

I was fourth to pass the coffee tin and out comes peg 102 on Carey. The pegs in the hundreds have been showing some Skimmers of late so I wasn’t that disappointed (we all really wanted to be in the Spring Lake section). When i haven’t been to a venue for a couple of weeks it’s a question of starting off from where you finished. So I set up a Ronnie rig, A Skimmer rig to be fished at 11.5 metres, a GB feeder and finally a waggler to be fished over the feeder line at half way across the Lake, where I believe is the deepest part of the swim. I started by feeding three balls of GB at 11.5 metres, but started on the Ronnie rig with caster over caster. I had a few quick Ronnie’s and two half pound Perch, but it was soon clear that the fish didn’t want any feed. The Ronnie’s dried up so went over the GB with 3mm expander on the hook and was pestered by small Ronnie’s which were too quick fro me. I did have a 2lb Skimmer unfortunately it was foul hooked, but still ended up in the storage net. I decided to set up the 4 metre whip and had a run of small Ronnie’s, hybrids and tiny Skimmers on the caster, before that died through too high an influx of feed. At this stage although Bob Gullick had been struggling on peg 100 started to catch decent regular Skimmers on dead reds. So I tried my line again and as previous I caught more Ronnie’s. I decided to fish the feeder in to the deeper water and had a run of six Skimmers before that swim died. I went round the mulberry bush and had the odd small fish, but was going no where. Out once again on the Feeder with triple maggot on the hook and again a short run of Skimmers. The Skimmers appeared to be shying away from the feed – why – I don’t know. I decided to spend the last hour on the waggler over the feeder line again with triple dead reds on the hook. This accounted for another six Skimmers. I must say the bites were sublime compared with the feeder. I would have a nod of the waggler before it sailed away – wonderful. I weighed 21lb 10oz for fourth in the section – not nearly good enough. I must say it was rally dark packing up.

I must mention Tim Pallant who was on next peg 103. Tim was struggling by half way through the match until he switched to the waggler with 6mm expander on the hook (expands to about 10mm) fished catapulted hard 4’s. Tim subsequently caught decent Skimmers steady to the end for 30lb. I was amazed Tim only hooked one Carp fishing this way, as were most of the anglers in the section. – More food for thought!!
The match was won by Dave Roper (pictured right) with 42lb 11oz from peg 18 on Spring Lake. Dave initially caught on short at 7 metres using caster over caster whilst his 14.5 metre GB line settled. Dave switched to the 14. 5 metre line fishing various baits (worm. Caster, dead reds) over the GB caught big Skimmer steady to the end of the match.

Full Result:

1.      Dave Roper 42-11-0 peg 18
2.      Andy Neal 40-03-0 peg 19
3.      Bob Gullick 37-13-0 peg 100
4.      Rowland Lucas 34-12-0 peg 16
5.      Stu Foale 34-02-0 peg 17
6.      Lee Werrett 32-12-0 peg 105

League Leaders:

1.      Lee Werrett 7pts 159lb 10oz
2.      Bob Gullick 7pts  (-45lb 5oz)
3.      Dave Roper 7pts (-51lb 6oz)
4.      Stu Foale 8pts 134lb 4oz
5.      Andy Neal 8pts  (-17lb 2oz)
6.      John Green 8pts  (-44lb 2oz)

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

not just a next peg battering but a chip shop sausage beating, you may have to rethink your silvers approach lol