Thursday 6 October 2011

06/10/2011 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey

It always take time for us humans to adjust to the change to hot and cold temperatures, so no surprise today that I felt cold as the temperature has dropped 18 degrees over two days! I didn’t expect it to affects the fish though.

Another good turn out for the Skivers match. A new Skiver in the form of Josh Garrett, nice to see him back on the bank – unless he draws next to you!!

In to the draw tin and out comes peg 129 on Campbell. The peg below the Spit, I always feel as if I have only half a Silvers swim on these Spit pegs. I had Josh Garrett arrive on next peg 130. We were both glad we were on this bank as the wind was strong and gusting, but importantly off our backs.

The water still looked clear to me so I set up a full depth waggler for the 10mm banded pellet and a 4x12 Jolly for the caster up to the spit at 11.5 metres. I also set up a paste rig to fish out in front at the same length. On the whistle I put a full pot of casters down the shelf of the spit and fed some hard 4’s over the paste line. Starting on the paste I had one Carp whilst Josh next to me was catching a Carp a casts on the straight lead out to the Aerator, as was Charlie Barns on peg 132, sporting his new Drennan lead rod. I half heartedly tried the caster and had one small Ronnie. So out on the waggler and I had a run of five Carp in the net and five Carp foul hooked. With us now half way through the match and with Josh and Charlie still bagging on the lead I had a walk. Both Rich Coles (128) and Chris Fox (127) owned up to 10lb of Silvers. So I went back to the car (becoming a habit) and got my Skimmer feeder rod and some GB for a practice for Sundays Silvers League. By the time I was set up I had about 2 ½ hours left of the match. First cast with triple dead bloated red maggot on the hook and a small Carp in the net, not what I was after. Next cast a 3lb Tench – better, quickly followed by another – even better. That was it for the Tench but I did start catch Skimmers steady to the end, interrupted by the odd small Carp. However, due to the ghigh usting wind which swirled in the GB bowl giving me “GB Eye”. I don’t know what the put in the GB but it stings like hell – top tip don’t rub the eyes. My Carp weighed 41lb 1oz and my Silvers 24lb 14oz, This left me one out of a Silvers pick up and the total of 65lb 15oz getting me nowhere either.

The match was won by Josh Garrett (pictured right with some of his catch) with 215lb 7oz from peg 130. Josh caught all but one fish on the straight lead fished out to the Aerator. Josh used 10mm hair rigged hard pellet fished over loose fed 10’s. Josh fed about 2 pints throughout.

The Silvers was won by the other young gun Tom Thick (pictured lower right with the other young gun) with 50lb 10oz from peg 126. Tom’s Silvers also helped him to runner up spot with a total of 171lb 12oz. Tom caught on the pole at 11. 5 metres using banded 4’s and 6’s fished over kinder potted hard 4’s. Tom fed two Chinese take away containers (about two British pints) throughout the match.

It was nice to see these young lads doing so well, as it was for a not so young Charlie Barns. Charlie has had five tons in the last five matches beating his PB yesterday with 145lb. I hear he’s taking his rod back because it’s bending too much!! It won’t last he will soon be back on the Silvers.

Full Result:

1. Josh Garrett 215-07-0 peg 130
2. Tom Thick 171-12-0 peg 126
3. Charlie Barns 141-01-0 peg 132
4. Tica Williams 137 04-0 peg 118
5. John Green 120-13-0 peg 124
6. Dan Pither 117-01-0 peg 80
7. Mike Owens 107-02-0 peg 116
8. Jim Baines 104-03-0 peg 123
9. Craig Edmonds 102-11-0 peg 94

Top Silvers:

1. Tom Thick 50-10-0 peg 126
2. John Bradford 34-12-0 peg 96
3. Chris Fox 34-11-0 peg 127

No comments: