Saturday 1 October 2011

Saturday 01/10/2011 - Viaduct All Winners £1,000 Final - Campbell and Carey

As this match was basically winners take all and no Silvers payout I came fully armed with not only the poles but two rods – lead and waggler all made up for Carp fishing. We all knew that the draw was important today and I fancied any of the corner pegs on Campbell – especially the end where the fished were! I was next behind Tony Rixon to draw and luckily he drew peg 76 – a peg I didn’t fancy (nor did he). I pulls peg 124. I was reasonably happy with this.

 
I was confident that the paste would work on this peg so left all my rods in the car. I found myself pegged between Andy Lloyd on peg 125 and Phil Cardwell on peg 123 (thanks for the coffee Phil). Two Viaduct Carp Slayers. I set up two rigs both paste, one to be fished at 10 metres and the other in the LH margin. On the horn I fed a smidgen of micro and hard 4’s and started to feed the margin, however, I could see the bait falling a long way down in the water so gave up feeding the margin as the clarity of the water would keep any self respecting carp out of the swim. First put on the paste I missed a bite. Next put in I hooked and landed a 10 lb Mirror, next put in another 10 lb Mirror was soon in the net – happy days – not. Next put in I lost a fish which might have been foul hooked.
Unfortunately I persevered with the paste far too long adding only three Bream and a Perch. It wasn’t until the last two hours that I went back to the car and got a bag of 8mm pellet and my waggler rod. Andy Lloyd had been fishing the shallow waggler and had only one Carp to show for it, so I wasn’t going to do any better, so I swapped mine to a full depth waggler with 8mm banded pellet. The up shot was that I added another seven Carp before the all out. My Silver went 8lb 6oz and my nine carp 68lb 2oz for a total of 76lb 8oz for fourteenth overall. The nearest I got to any coin was being handed the empty winners envelope (pictured upper right)!

Dean Malin (pictured right with some of his better fish) won the £1,000 prize with 174lb 3oz from peg 119. Dean caught a few on the straight lead at the start, but caught the majority on the pole fishing 16.5 metres to the end margin using hard hair rigged 8 mm pellet fished over a combination of potted and loose fed pellet.

Runner up was Phil Cardwell (pictured right with some of his catch) with 142lb 2oz from the opposite corner peg 123. Phil caught most of his fish on the lead utilising large pieces of bread fished off bottom. Phil went home £300 richer.

In third place was Trigger (pictured top right collecting his winnings with the other lucky sods from Fishery Manager Paul Greenwood) with 123lb 13 oz from peg 126. Trigger struggled for most of the match until he switched to the 5 metre line in the last hour using meat hook bait fished over hand fed meat.

Full Result:

1. Dean Malin 174-03-0 peg 119
2. Phil Cardwell 139-06-0 peg 123
3. Craig Edmonds 123-13-0 peg 125
4. Martin Preston 120-02-0 peg 85
5. Mash 108-09-0 peg 131
6. John Mills 105-09-0 peg 118
7. Matt Parsons 104-12-0 peg 105
8. Charlie Barns 103-14-0 peg 115

And finally, with temperatures once again in the high twenties it was the Angler on peg 112 (pictured lower right) that decided enough was enough and jumped in the Lake so say to retrieve his landing net.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha u don't miss a trick with that camera of yours mike! trig