Sunday 16 October 2011

Sunday 16/10/2011 - Stafford Moor October Festival - Non Fishing Day

Today it was off to Stafford Moor Fishery to complete one of my remaining “Bucket” fishing list, which is to fish a Commercial Festival. I choose the Stafford Moor October Festival as it had been recommended by many fellow South West Anglers. For company I have Mark Tanner and Glenn Bailey. Mark booked the accommodation - Bramble Cottage - Wansley Barton. I must say for £110 each for the week self catering it was a good choice. Included, is a small fishing lake and a swimming pool. However, it is out in the sticks having to negotiate roads that have grass growing in the middle and hedgerow that scratch each side of the car and in one instance the nice lady cutting her hedge had to move her step ladder for us to pass. – Miss Satnav is essential.

I do have concerns as to whether I will last the full five days – purely because of my Arthritis. Hopefully I won’t have to resort to the straight lead!!

So looking forward to the first draw tomorrow when I will find out which 16 anglers I will be completing against for the remaining four days of the five day festival – dropping one result.

On arrival I paid the £210 entry fee – that hurt and then sulked around the venue and found Dave Downton in his Chalet and was offered a cup of coffee providing I made it! I then had the usual technical teach in on the benefits of Clurrusso (bet thats not the spelling) wagglers by Dave pictured right.

Back to the shop and Mike Duckett (pictured lower right with Andy Seery) was explaining how he ended up in hospital this morning, because last night Mike blacked out and fell on to the cast iron bath in his digs. Apparently it wasn’t anything to do with the six pints of cider Mike West fed him!! Mike was struggling to use his right arm. Let’s hope he’s able to fish tomorrow – bet he does, irrespective of his condition.
I have just heard that matey Darren Gillman won the Winter League today on the Bristol Avon with 89lb 3oz. Darren caught Skimmers and Bream on the pole from peg 12 – one above Newbridge Bridge – well done matey that will do me tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

Darren won the w/l with 89lb of bream on the pole Mike. Beat that this week !

Anonymous said...

Trust Our MIKE,lol
Must thought he was on the GOLD still :-)
Hope he feels better soon and good luck buddy!!!!!
Jw