Friday 21 October 2011

Thursday 20/10/2011 - Stafford Moor October Festival - Day Four - Tanners

Starting to feel the pace with the enthusiasm waning, but no moaning this morning! We were promised a frost last night but the temperature managed to stay at 4 degrees add the cloud cover it didn’t happen, we were also promised another dry day which we did.

Mark was on Woodpecker lake peg 25 and I thought it would suit him.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 4 Tanners. Arriving at the peg I was in a Landsend sandwich, Mike Duckett on peg 6 and Dell Boy on peg 3. This morning I was third equal overall in the Festival so to be in a chance of good points it would have to be Carp, plus I was completely fogged by the fact that peg 3 has recent Carp form with two Match seconds. So I set up three rods, shallow pellet waggler, another full depth and a lead rod. As I had time I set up a paste rig to be fished at 7 metres – no more of this as it got bitted out by small Skimmers.

On the whistle I started to feed 8’s and fished a pellet waggler over it this resulted in two missed bites which I thought were Silvers which was proven correct as I had one of 8oz. Out with the full depth waggler – still feeding 8’s and I had a 6lb carp first cast on the drop – that’s it then – nope that was it for the waggler for the rest of the day. So out on the straight lead, the boredom was relieved twice with two very small Carp. After four hours peg three hadn’t had a Carp and peg 36 had five. I had enough of this slaying, so I got my Ronnie rig out the bag with the intentions of turning a bad day in to something more memorable. In the remaining two hours I had a lovely period of catching Ronnie’s up to 8oz using single caster over caster. The three Carp weighed 13lb 4oz and my Silvers 20lb 8oz for a total of 33lb 12oz. With only 30lb winning the Silvers (fished for from front to back) it was clear I had made the wrong choice and should fished for Ronnie’s from the off (I think if I had known the Lake better I would have done this and if I had listened to Glenn Bailey) – I reckon I would have had at least 40lb and another pick up – bugger. Isn’t this why we go fishing, wanting to reverse our wrong decisions? The result to drop I hope!!

The last day tomorrow and I am on Pines which will suit me much better than today – no slaying rods on this Lake, subject of course to a decent draw.

I was really pleased to hear Mark had caught well winning his section with 89lb 4oz. Mark choose to fish the first half on the pellet waggler both up and down with banded pellet, catching the Lion share in the last ninety minutes on the lead – Mark fed 8 pints of 8’s – he does look a tad tired now as does his catapult.
The match was won by Perry Stone (pictured right - tes thats his nromal look) with 188lb 12oz from peg 3 on Woodpecker – I have written enough this week about this flyer!

Full Result:

1.      Perry Stone 188-12-0 peg 3 Woodpecker
2.      Jake Marshall 147-14-0 peg 8 Woodpecker
3.      Lee Jan 109-02-0 peg 34 Tanners
4.      Neil Cottee 94-12-0 peg 11 Tanners
5.      Allwyn 90-11-0 peg 35 Tanners
6.      Mark Tanner 89-04-0 peg 24 Woodpecker

No comments: