Thursday 29 September 2011

Thursday 29/09/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled - Bridge Pool

What’s gone right with the weather – clear skies and daytime temperatures in the high twenties. Apparently the weather is confusing nature particularly plants. Let’s hope the fish aren’t as confused!
Looking at the Lake it appeared to be nicely coloured due to feeding fish. So I was anticipating a good days fishing. I had made my mind up to make it a Silvers only day to give the Carp arm a rest, except I wanted to try the new Sensas heavy top set a try, which I had borrowed from Dean Malin.

Lucky enough I drew a reasonable Silvers peg 31. Also I would be in the shade most of the day as the sun is already much lower in the sky, hence hidden behind the high bank behind me. Perfect.

Having checked that Terry Bruton was safely installed and tethered in his peg 15 it was off to my peg!!

I set up a Ronnie rig to be used at 4 metres with caster, a 4x16 Jolly to be fished down the nearvshelf at 6 metres and a paste rig for the LH margin – this rig was for test purposes only.

On the whistle I fed a small amount of hard 4’s on the Skimmer line and started to loose feed a few casters for the Ronnie’s. It was soon obvious the Ronnie’s weren’t going to play as I had two small samples and two small Perch on the caster. So I put on the 6mm expander on the Skimmer rig and I started to catch “Bottle Top” Skimmers 2 – 3oz. I did manage to keep these coming for the first hour after which things slowed, so I re-fed a mix of Caster, Micro and hard 4’s and tried the Ronnie’s again and caught another hard earned two more! Back out on the Skimmer line and I carried on catching the Swimmeret’s but it was a lot slower. It was apparent looking around the lake that the Silvers and to a certain extent the Carp weren’t feeding.

I thought I better do my Carp test whilst I rested the Skimmers. First put in with paste and I had a 15lb Common Carp this would test Dean’s top set. Now this top set has a 22 elastic on a side pulla slide. So I thought I needed to give it a pull to bring the Carp to attention – well the elastic was so tight I couldn’t pull it. After messing around with this the Carp broke me at the net. I then realised, although, it has a pulla set-up the elastic is meant to be fished in the traditional fixed style. I broke on the next put in on another big Carp followed by a lost foul hooked Carp, before I finally got a handle on the set up and landed a Common Carp weighing 9lb 9oz. I am glad I have ordered one of these top sets as they are spot on for the big Carp on this venue.

As I said today’s focus was Silvers so having completed the top set test it was back put on the expander and I caught a few more Swimmerets but as the match came to a close so did the fishing. My Silvers weighed in at 15lb 14oz for second in the Silvers, adding my Carp my total climbed to 25lb 8oz for seventh overall.
Overall the Lake fished poor, which I put down to the fish feeding overnight in the light skies, hence the coloured water this morning. I am sure they will feed again overnight tonight.

The match was won by Alan Jones (pictured right with his catch of Carp) with 57lb 1oz from peg 33. Alan caught at 10 metres fishing worm hook bait fished over CW&C in GB.

The Silvers was won by Batch tackle dealer Dave Bacon (pictured right) with a credible 17lb 2oz of decent size Skimmers. Again Dave caught at 10 metres using worm hook bait fished over CW&C.
It seemed to be a day of the worm – just a one off I hope!

Full Result:

1. Alan Jones 57-01-0 peg 33
2. Dave Gillard 49-06-0 peg 16
3. John Wild 47-05-0 peg 21
4. John Smith 41-14-0 peg 25
5. Terry Church 30-15-0 peg 17
6. Martin Alexander 27-06-0 peg 28

Top Silvers:
1. Dave Bacon 17-02-0 peg 27
2. Mike Nicholls 15-14-0 peg 31
3. Peter Greenslade 15-10-0 peg 32

No comments: