Wednesday 2 November 2011

Wednesday 02/11/2011 - Carps AC - Autumn Series - Plantation Main Lake

Fishing is about making choices, on Commercial fisheries these can be limitless, baits, method, species, etc...I choose today to guest in the last in the Carps AC Plantation series. Bela choose to fish Landsend, but as we are there Sunday I decided on a change – I wonder who provided the Pinky Ponk?

The league is split in to Silvers and overall, so being a guest I had the choice and decided to keep my options open dependant on where lady luck put me. In to the draw bucket and out came peg 12. I wasn’t disappointed with the draw because we were promised heavy rain (that didn’t happen – did it Ray) and high winds, the peg is in the top bay and well sheltered. It also has a bit more depth than most pegs. It has a lot of Carp form primarily fishing the LH margin – so one option. However, because I still had a kilo of worm (less four used at Huntstrete last week) left over from Stafford Moor I decided not to waste them and try my hand at fishing the messy business - CW&C. I haven’t really done that well using it, I think because I don’t give it long enough. So I set up my usual Ronnie rig – caster over caster, followed by a 4x16 Jolly for the Messy. I also set up a paste rig for the margin (this wasn’t used in earnest as the Carp appeared to be having a day off). I initially chopped up ten worms and fed a small amount with a pot of casters to kick start the swim at 9 metres. I started on the Ronnie rig and it was soon clear that after five or so fish that they weren’t feeding well enough to come close enough to make them viable. So messy went out and I started to catch a few Skimmers to 1lb. I regularly topped up the messy through a kinder pot and had a funny spell where after landing a 2lb Skimmer I lost three on the bounce, I can hear Dad tell me to let the fish take it well before striking, so I took off a number 12 shot. I then lost two foul hooked Carp before I landed two tiny Carp which nearly qualified for the Silvers net. I did have a 5lb Carp later to take the tally up to three. Half way through, and believe it or not I am still fishing the messy. Still toping up through the kinder pot I had a run of four big Perch these must have weighed 9lb or so – wonderful. The swim died for a long while and I was just nicking the odd Ronnie and small Skimmer before I had two big Crucian’s.

I made it through the whole match fishing the messy business. I fed four lots of ten worms and used about ten broken up for the hook, plus one pint of casters.

Ray Bazeley (pictured right) fishing next to me on peg 10 also had some quality Perch with his six going about 10lb. Ray thought one was 4lb - I suppose we all get excited from time to time!! Ray caught his on double caster – The Perch preferred bait.

The match was won by Dave Roper (pictured lower right with his Carp catch – Dave is a very difficult angler to photograph – a bit shifty me thinks). Dave caught some Skimmers on soft pellet fished over micro at 13 metres and a few short over CW&C. However, Dave’s Carp came from his LH margin fishing meat over meat.

The Silvers was won by Steve Kedge from peg 38 with 34lb 12oz. Steve fished soft pellet over micro at 8 metres. Steve caught mainly Skimmers, feeding just less than one pint of micro. Later after the Skimmers dried up Steve switched to caster short adding about 10lb of Ronnie’s.

Full Result:

1.      Dave Roper 60-08-0 peg 8
2.      Leyton Palmer 56-08-0 peg 28
3.      Paul Fairer 46-03-0 peg 7
4.      Steve Kedge 40-09-0 peg 38
5.      Mike Owens 29-07-0 peg 5
6.      Mike Nicholls 29-05-0 peg 12


Top Silvers:

1.      Steve Kedge 34-12-0 peg 38
2.      Mike Nicholls 21-04-0 peg 12
3.      Steve Dawson 19-12-0 peg 18

No comments: