Thursday 24 November 2011

Thursday 24/11/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled - Withy Pool

Another mild warm November’s day even though we had an early draw of 08:30 – next match the draw is 08:00! This day last year it was snowing, hopefully we will have an ice free winter, particularly as I have decided not to fish if the Lakes have a lid of ice.

Arriving at Withy Pool it was soon apparent that the aerator had a mechanical issue, either that or the Carp on peg 35 were sat under the paddles doing a bit of head banging!

In to the draw bucket and out comes peg 41, I have drawn this couple of times before and have won coin with Carp, with very few Silvers showing. I wasn’t that disappointed. However, looking at the water it was very clear (as is most fisheries at present) so wasn’t expecting to bag up today with two keenest being more than enough!!

I set up my usual Ronnie rig and a 4x16 Jolly with a 0.14 hook length with a Tubertini 808 hook to be fished at 7 metres out in front.

I fed the 7 metre line with a concoction of five chopped worms, pinch of dead reds and the remainder of the pot was topped with caster. I started on the Ronnie rig and unbelievably I didn’t have a bite or any indication, not even from the little Perch that can be a nuisance on this peg. That was it for this rig; I packed it away before picking up the Jolly. I started on a piece of worm and after 30 minutes had my first bite an 8lb Carp. I quickly followed this with my only Silver fish of the day – a 4lb 8oz Skimmer. An hour later I hooked another Carp which was a lump and just after adjusting the angle of the top set to the fish the hook pulled – costly I’m thinking. Two hours later after trying every conceivable bait and combinations, there of, I hooked and landed another 11 lb Carp on double caster. I decided to stick with this bait to the end and was rewarded with my fifth and last bite with five minutes to go – another Carp which after a minutes tussle broke me – was it foul hooked – don’t know and never will. My total weight was 22lb 14oz, which surprisingly put me in coin position third overall.

Similarly John Smith (pictured right playing his fouler - seven other Anglers are in the frame) hooked a Carp with five minutes to go, unlike me he landed his double which was foul hooked in the tail (big paddle inoperative) – jammy bugger.

The match was won by Ray Bazeley (pictured right with the Silvers winner) maggot over a mix of caster and micro pellet.
The Silvers was won by Bob Feltham (MD) (pictured right with his catch of quality Bream) weighing 19lb 6oz from peg 46. Bob caught on various baits, with the Lion share coming to a single piece f corn fished at 13 metres.

Full Result:
1.      Ray Bazeley 36-0-0 peg 66
2.      John Smith 31-06-0 peg 43
3.      Mike Nicholls 22-14-0 peg 41
4.      Bob Feltham 19-06-0 peg 46
5.      Alan Jones 18-06-0 peg 45
6.      Rich Coles 15-08-0 peg 61

Top Silvers:

1.      Bob Feltham 19-06-0 peg 46
2.      Rich Coles 15-08-0 peg 61
3.      Martin Alexander 14-0-0 peg 42

No comments: