Wednesday 11 March 2009

Wednesday 11/03/2009 - Avon Angling Open - Avalon Fishery

It could be that we have now seen the end of this miserable Winter, much warmer today, with temperatures up to 13 degrees.

What are the chances of drawing the same peg again? Well the answer is the same as the first time. I drew peg 26, the same peg from which I won the Silvers from last Wednesday with 26lb. I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to test another peg for the Silvers. I needn’t have worried as the Skimmers switched off and the Carp switched on. I decided to feed differently this time and fed 250 ml of micro, much more than last time by 200 ml. All I succeeded in doing was to attract the Carp. It took a long time before I had my first Skimmer, but I did have plenty of indications that Carp were feeding at all depths except on the bottom! I caught the odd Skimmer throughout. However, mid match I had a run of five Carp in consecutive put in’s, two I lost which were probably foul hooked. I had another five minutes later. The upshot was that I over fed for the Silvers; just too positive. The four Carp weighed 16lb 8oz and weighed 10lb 12oz of Silvers for a total weight of 27lb 4oz. This put me third in the Silvers, by default, and last in the money with a pick up of £20.

The match was won by Martin Lenaghan (the same Martin I wrote about on Monday’s match) from peg 5 with an all Carp catch of 88lb 2oz. Martin fished the shallow pellet waggler one foot deep to the far bank with 10mm hard pellet over loose fed 6mm pellet, feeding about one pint.

Runner up was Dean Mallin (pictured right - has he got false teeth?) from end corner peg 24 with 82lb 9oz. Dean caught into the end margin with both sweet corn and pellet on the hook over potted micro pellet.

The Silvers was won by Eric Fouracres (pictured lower right with some of his third framing weight of 74lb 8oz) with 15lb 2oz from peg 16. Eric caught quality Tench and Skimmers on hard 6mm pellet fished over hard 4mm pellet at 17 metres to the island.

The fish of the match was caught by Vince Brown from peg 28. Vince caught a 12lb 8oz Ghost Carp (pictured bottom centre with Vince – magnificent fish, well done matey) on the waggler over to the island – ask Vince the rest!!

Full Result (close match with a fish or two separating both frames):

1. Martin Lenaghan 88-02-0 peg 5
2. Dean Mallin 83-14-0 peg 24
3. Eric Fouracres 74-08-0 peg 16
4. Steve Skelton 62-08-0 peg 40
5. Tony Rixon 60-8-0 peg 19
6. Alex Murry 60-4-0 peg 11

Top Silvers:

1. Eric Fouracres 15-02-0 peg 16
2. Lewis Jones 12-02-0 peg 32
3. Mike Nicholls 10-12-0 peg 26


No comments: