Wednesday 18 March 2009

Wednesday 18/03/09 - Carps AC - Sedges - Brick Lake

This was the first time back since last September so I wasn’t quite sure how it was going to fish, and the approach I should take. I drew peg 4, which isn’t quite between pegs 5 and 9, my favourite Skimmer pegs. However, I was hoping for a Carp Slayer to have drawn peg 5. However, I couldn’t have had a worse angler (for me that is) arrived on peg 5 – Dave Wride. I knew it would be difficult to beat him off his peg. Before the "all-in" I had a chat with Rich Coles who has been fishing the venues Silvers League, Rich suggested expander pellet over micro, topped up with through a kinder pot. I also spoke to Jess Jordon, who had caught a few Skimmer on the previous Sunday's match from peg 4, Jess had fed ground bait and fished expander over the top. So I decided to start short at 8 metres with ground bait laced with dead red maggot (a line I could throw away – which I subsequently did). I also fed a pot of micro at 13 metres at 12 0 clock. I started over the GB with double red maggot hook bait. I caught Skimmers straight away from 4oz to 2lb, but they didn’t stay for long. As expected Dave Wride was catching regularly at 14 metres, with soft pellet on the hook. I decided to also fed a pot of micro toward peg 5 at 11 0 clock and a pot at 2 o clock. I went out in front with pellet at 13 metres and had a few more Skimmers. Dave was still catching steady and by half way was well ahead of me. I kept topping up all three swims with kinder cupped micro. The 2 o clock swim produced absolutely nothing, with the 11 o clock swim producing the lion’s share of my 28lb 6oz of Silvers. This put me second in the Silvers and 4th overall and a pick up of £35.

I was pleased with my elastic set-up comprising 1.8 mm diameter Vespe hollow through my top three, attached to a Preston Pull-a-Bung. I didn't loose any Skimmers whilst playing them. I even landed all the "flyer's".

The match was won by Gordon Cannings (pictured right with his Carp catch) with 64lb 4oz from his usual corner peg 10! Gordon caught an equal share of Carp on the pellet waggler fished 3ft deep and on the pole at 11.5 metres. Surprisingly enough his catch included 10lb of Silvers – must have been a few about then!

As predicted the Silvers was won by Dave Wride with 46lb 8oz of Skimmers and Bream. Dave used soft pellet hook bait over kinder potted Swim Stim micro pellet (the green ones). He also fed about one pint.

On the whole the Lake fished very well with plenty of Skimmers being caught. This fishery is managed extremely well by Jamie and Denise, and seems to improve on every visit.

Full Result:

1. Gordon Cannings 64-04-0 peg 10
2. Dave Wride 46-08-0 peg 5
3. Rich Coles 28-14-0 peg 12
4. Mike Nicholls 28-06-0 peg 5
5. Roy Short 22-08-0 peg 13 (all Silvers)
6. Ryan Potter 22-0-0 peg 3

Top Silvers:

1. Dave Wride 46-08-0 peg 5
2. Mike Nicholls 28-06-0 peg 4

No comments: