Thursday 26 March 2009

Thursday 26/03/2009 - Bathampton AA over 55's

Today saw the start of the Bathampton AA Disabled and over 55’s 2009 series. It’s open to all Bathampton AA club members that qualify. The first match was held on Bridge Pool; everyone’s favourite. The first match usually has a high turn out, however, due to the horrendous weather conditions rain and high gusting winds the attendance was down to the usual hardy twenty.

"There is only one thing worse than fishing in a gale - that is not fishing at all".

I must say it was nice to see Mike Jones out match fishing again after a twenty year lay off. I had heard through the grapevine that Mike had been practicing for these matches at Huntstrete.

I had my usual discussion with Colin before the match re only selecting the best pegs equal to the number of anglers fishing. What happens, Colin puts 24 peg in the draw and good pegs 16, 18, 24, 30 aren’t drawn, whilst the worse pegs on the venue pegs 12 & 13 are, with the anglers on these pegs not weighing, hence, not having a days fishing - exasperating!!

I drew peg 14. I think it is probably the deepest peg on Bridge Pool. I have been lucky up to now not to have drawn it. Where was Tom Coulston when I needed him, this is his usual peg! The wind was gusting in to me around both sides of the opposite island, so I was forced to fish short. I started at 5 metres with pellet over pellet which resulted in a few very small Skimmers, the going was very slow. I had also fed caster at 7 metres, so I switched to this line. I started to catch Ronnie’s up to 3oz regularly on single caster, so I decided to stay with this line for the rest of the match (on hindsight this was probable a mistake). With a couple of hours to go I decided to up the caster feed, which resulted in a 2lb Tench. However, it also brought in the Carp which chased out the Ronnie’s for half hour or so. I finished the match with 12lb 10oz of Silvers for fifth in the Silvers.

Mike Jones (pictured right playing his first Carp on 1.7 lb bayer hook length - can you still get that! Mike is also using a Mitchell Match Reel - I think it's the one I once owned but swaped it for his a ABU 601) won both the match and the Silvers from peg 15. Mike caught six Carp for 41lb 12oz plus 15lb 14oz of Silvers for a total weight of 57lb 10oz. Mike caught on the waggler at full depth with maggot hook bait. It was good to see Mike (pictured lower right with his Carp Catch) on his first match get a good draw and catch a few fish.

I was also good to see the Silvers match to closely contested, with only a fish or two separating the top five.

Full result:

1. Mike Jones 57-10-0 peg 15
2. Chris Snow 43-14-0 peg 21
3. Ian Sheppard 24-0-0 peg 19
4. Kevin Collins 22-08-0 peg 3
5. Dave Bacon 20-0-0 peg 28
6. John Wild 17-09-0 peg 32

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Jones 15-14-0 peg 15

2. Ian Sheppard 14-14-0 peg 19
3. Colin Golding 13-04-0 peg 17
4. Bob Feltham 12-15-0 peg 11
5. Mike Nicholls 12-10-0 peg 14

2 comments:

JohnL said...

Good old Bayer Perlon - I've still got some 2.6 and I think 1.4.
Good to see him using a Mitchell Match as well!
from a lurker :-)

Tim Ford said...

Mike,

So if I read this correctly, you were absolutely battered off the next peg by a bloke who hasn't fished a match for 20 years!!!!!